Goal-line technology is ‘unlikely’ to be introduced into the Premier League until next season, despite renewed calls.
Two working systems have been found by football's world governing body FIFA, but neither have been fully licensed as yet.
The controversy over employing the technology was reignited on Monday night after referee Mike Jones failed to award Victor Anichebe’s goal for Everton when his close range header clearly crossed the line.
There had been suggestions that the Premier League might be able to introduce the successfully-trialled Hawk-Eye or GoalRef technology half way through this season.
But the licensing process is not yet complete, and it’s likely it would take until the 2013-14 campaign to have the technology installed and tested at all 20 Premier League grounds.
Discussions are continuing between the Premier League and the two current potential providers of the technology.
"Fifa have approved but not licensed GoalRef or Hawk-Eye as yet," a Premier League spokesman told Sky News.
Fifa announced the technologies had been approved following a meeting of the International Football Association Board in Zurich in July.
"Fifa are working towards having it in for their World Club Championship," added the Premier League spokesman.
"Practically no other league or competition will be able to have it set up prior to next season. That's what we are currently working towards," he said.
The Fifa Club World Cup - in which Chelsea will play as reigning champions of Europe - is scheduled between December 6 and December 16 in Japan.
It will be the first time the new goal-line technologies will be utilised in competitive games.
Representatives from FIFA, Hawk-Eye and GoalRef are flying to Japan to begin the process of installing goal-line technology in the two stadia being used for the Club World Cup.