The BBC says it is to make direct contact with police to provide "full support" over any allegations made about abuse involving Sir Jimmy Savile.
A spokesman for the corporation said: "A number of serious and disturbing allegations have been made over the past few days about the sexual abuse of teenage girls by Jimmy Savile.
"Some of these allegations relate to activity on BBC premises in the 1960s and 70s. We are horrified by allegations that anything of this sort could have happened at the BBC - or have been carried out by anyone working for the BBC.
"So we have today asked the BBC investigations unit to make direct contact with all the police forces in receipt of allegations and offer to help them investigate these matters and provide full support to any lines of inquiry they wish to pursue."
Scotland Yard has now confirmed it is to review a new allegation of rape concerning the TV presenter.
A woman came forward on Monday to report the alleged attack, which is said to have taken place in London several decades ago. The report was passed to the Metropolitan Police by colleagues in Surrey as the alleged offence took place in London.
Police have not named the alleged attacker. However, Sky News understands the allegation relates to Sir Jimmy.
The presenter was interviewed under caution by police in 2007 after allegations of assault at a children's home in Surrey in the 1970s, but the Crown Prosecution Service decided there was insufficient evidence to charge him.
And Jersey Police investigated an allegation of indecent assault concerning the TV personality at the Haut de la Garenne children's home in the 1970s.
The alleged assault was reported to police in 2008 as part of their historic abuse investigation on the island.
A spokesperson told Sky News: "During the course of the States of Jersey Police's historic abuse investigation a verbal allegation of indecent assault said to have occurred during the 1970s at the former children's home Haut de la Garenne was received.
"The allegation was investigated but there was insufficient evidence to proceed."
It is thought that five women have alleged sexual abuse by Sir Jimmy, who died last year.
The claims are revealed in an ITV documentary on the Yorkshireman, who was hugely admired for the millions of pounds he raised for charity.
Fellow BBC presenter and ChildLine founder Esther Rantzen said there were rumours about the Top Of The Pops and Jim'll Fix It star but "it was one child's word against the word of a television icon ... I think no single complainant dared speak out before".
In a blog on the BBC news website, Newsnight editor Peter Rippon explains his decision not to run a story into abuse claims involving Sir Jimmy, and denies suggestions that it was part of a BBC cover-up.
Sir Jimmy's nephew, Roger Foster, has said the former DJ's family are "disgusted and disappointed" at the allegations.