Surva Festival - where fantastical creatures ward off evil spirits
Wearing fearsome masks and imposing costumes these fantastical creatures sure do make a terrifying sight. These costumed men are taking part in the ancient ritual of Kukeri at the Surva International Festival of Masquerade Games in the village of Pernik, Bulgaria. Terrifyingly the men - known as Kukeri - enter houses in the village, clanging their bells to ward off evil spirits. Held at the beginning of February, the tradition has its roots in pre-Roman Bulgaria.
News For You
- Driver's Twitter Boast About 'Hitting Cyclist'
- Base jumper's miracle escape after faulty parachute saw him plunge 1,000ft …
- Oklahoma Tornado: 24 Dead As Search Resumes
- Xbox One: Hands-on with Microsoft's new 'home entertainment system'
- 'Get to shelter right now!' Weather reporter forced to flee studio live …