By Ian Dunt
Fourteen Tory MPs tried to launch an unsuccessful leadership challenge against David Cameron, according to reports.
The news, which follows the attempt to turn Tory MP backbencher John Baron into a stalking horse candidate, will further destabilise the prime minister's leadership as he heads into difficult political territory.
The Spectator reported that 14 MPs – well short of the 46 needed – wrote to the chairman of the party's 1922 Committee, Graham Brady, to demand a leadership challenge. Brady refused to confirm the story.
The development comes at a difficult time for Mr Cameron, who is now unfavourably compared to London mayor Boris Johnson on a daily basis.
Recent polls suggested Boris could close the gap in the polls with Labour and save the seats of dozens of Tory MPs in marginal constituencies.
Cameron is also at the point where he will have to admit defeat on his planned constituency reforms, which would have bolstered Tory results on election day.
The Liberal Democrats are now implacably opposed to the move, so it has no chance of getting through.
The prime minister has not given up the fight yet, but with Lib Dem and Labour constituency parties being authorise to select candidates for marginal seats, his reluctance to implement elections on existing boundaries will soon end up hurting Conservative election chances.
Meanwhile, Cameron is facing problems from a new rump of eurosceptic MPs. Yesterday, a cross-party group calling for an EU referendum was formed by backbencher John Baron, with an inauguration meeting set for October 16th.
- Texas Flash Floods: More Than 200 RescuedSky News - 12 minutes ago
- US: Teenager Arrested Over School Bomb PlotSky News - 18 minutes ago
- Woolwich Murder Suspect 'Held Two Months Ago'Sky News - 1 hour 17 minutes ago
- Man Killed In South London Betting ShopSky News - 1 hour 34 minutes ago
- French Soldier Stabbed In The Neck In ParisSky News - 2 hours 31 minutes ago
By Ian Dunt
Best of Yahoo! News
- Cameron To Publish In/Out EU Referendum …
- EU Referendum: Cameron Braced For Showdo …
- Tory Peer Denies Calling Activists 'Loon …
- EU Membership: MPs Bid To Force Vote
- Cameron 'dealt blow' after EU vote
- Cameron Warns Rebels: I Won't Budge on E …
- Howe Says Cameron Is Losing Control Of P …