Harry Redknapp has confirmed he is leaving Tottenham Hotspur and said he is "sad" his four-year stint has come to an abrupt end.
Redknapp said: "I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Spurs and am proud of my achievements. I have had a fantastic four years with the Club, at times the football has been breathtaking.
"I am sad to be leaving but wish to thank the players, staff and fans for their terrific support during my time there."
His departure apparently follows an impasse over the 65-year-old's contract with the Premier League club.
Redknapp and Spurs chairman Daniel Levy reportedly failed to reach an agreement over an extension to his existing deal, which was due to expire next summer.
It has been claimed Levy was only willing to offer Redknapp a rolling 12-month contract where as the former Portsmouth manager wanted a longer deal that would have seen him through to retirement.
Levy posted on the club's website : "This is not a decision the board and I have taken lightly.
"Harry arrived at the club at a time when his experience and approach was exactly what was needed.
"This decision in no way detracts from the excellent work Harry has done during his time with the club and I should like to thank him for his achievements and contribution. Harry will always be welcome at the Lane."
Redknapp achieved Levy's goal of reaching the top four last season but Spurs missed out on Champions League qualification after London rivals Chelsea won the competition in a penalty shootout last month in Germany.
Redknapp's critics point to the fact his team would have qualified directly for the Champions League had they not thrown away a 10-point lead over Arsenal towards the end of the season.
Another source of frustration for them is that the poor run of form coincided with his public flirtation with the idea of becoming England manager, although he denied that had an impact on results.
The job eventually went to West Bromwich Albion boss Roy Hodgson , who is currently with the national team at the Euro 2012 championships in Poland and Ukraine.
On Tuesday, Redknapp repeated his call for Levy to hand him a new deal, claiming the impasse could lead to an exodus of the club's top players like Luka Modric and Gareth Bale.
"It's not a case of me looking for security," he told ESPN Soccernet. "What it's about is players knowing you've only got one year left on your contract and knowing that it doesn't work, basically.
"I think it's a situation of, 'well, he might not be here next year'.
"You don't let players run into the last year of their contract if you think they're any good, and you don't let managers run into the last year of their contract if you think they're any good."