Samsung unveiled the second generation of its popular Galaxy Note "phablet" at Europe's biggest electronics show in Berlin on Wednesday.
The South Korean firm is under heavy pressure to innovate after losing a US patent battle with Apple Inc last week.
A US federal jury found Samsung had copied critical features of the iPhone and awarded Apple $1.05bn in damages.
The new Galaxy Note - the company's second most popular smartphone after its flagship Galaxy S - is not included in a potential list of eight Samsung phones that could face sales bans in the US.
JK Shin, Samsung's chief of mobile business, said at the company's Mobile Unpacked event at the IFA: "I am pretty confident it will even outsell its predecessor."
Simon Stanford, vice president of telecommunications and networks at Samsung UK and Ireland, said: "With an unbeatable viewing experience and unique features, our customers can capture their ideas faster, express thoughts freely and manage tasks more efficiently.
"This device provides creativity for all, with an extraordinary experience."
The new Note features a thinner and slightly bigger 5.5-inch screen, quad-core processor, the latest version of Google's Android operating system called Jellybean and an improved stylus function.
It comes just three months after Samsung released the third generation of the Galaxy S smartphone - 10 million of which have already been sold.
The original 5.3-inch Note was a surprise hit, selling more than 10 million within nine months.
Shares in the company rose 2.9% in Seoul on Wednesday, leaving them just 3.5% down on their level before last Friday's legal ruling.
The shares slumped 7.5% on Monday, wiping $12bn off the company's market value.
On Tuesday, a US judge set a December 6 date to hear Apple's request for a permanent injunction against Samsung smartphones.
Apple identified eight devices it will seek preliminary injunctions against and said it would file for a permanent sales ban.