The dramatic moment police shot the two Woolwich terror suspects has been caught on video.
New footage shows the two men brandishing weapons and charging at officers in a car as they arrive at the scene.
One of the men runs straight at the car as police shout "drop it".
Just inches from the door of the vehicle the man is blown off his feet by a shot from an officer in the back of the car. Two shots ring out.
Officers run from the car to cover him as he lies prone on the ground, his legs are moving.
During his charge, his accomplice runs alongside on the pavement armed with what appears to be a gun, which is pointed at officers.
Four shots are fired by SO19 marksmen and the second man is felled.
A further two shots sound out as the men lie on the ground being tended by officers.
The whole sequence is over in seconds.
Screams can be heard above the helicopter whirring overhead and people can be seen running in panic as the shooting starts.
Police officers shout at those around to "get back" as they can be heard calling for an ambulance.
IT repairman Zac-Samanachi Qadir, 35, who filmed one of the pieces of footage, told The Sun: "The police opened fire, they had no choice.
"The guy in the brown coat had the revolver. His thumb was hanging off his hand. It could be his gun had backfired."
For more than 10 minutes after they allegedly hacked to death 25-year-old soldier Lee Rigby, the men waited for police to arrive, inviting people to film them, with their hands covered in blood clutching blades.
The suspects, Michael Adeboloja, 28, originally from Romford in Essex, and Michael Oluwatobi Adebowale, 22, of Greenwich in southeast London, are being treated for non life-threatening injuries under police guard at separate hospitals.
The men, who are of Nigerian background, but born in Britain, were both known to the security services , but were assessed by MI5 as not posing a threat requiring "immediate intervention", Government sources said.
Two women arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder following a series of armed raids overnight have been released without charge.
A 29-year-old man, who was also arrested, is still being questioned.
Six addresses were searched as part of the investigation, three in south London, one in east London, one in north London and one in Saxilby, Lincolnshire, the former home of Adeboloja.
The front door of a home in east London's Eastney Street had been shattered.
A neighbour said four people were led away from the flat at 6am, and that two children, aged three and seven, were also taken away.
The Metropolitan Police said: "This is a large, complex and fast-moving investigation which continues to develop.
"Many lines of enquiry are being followed by detectives and the investigation is progressing well."
The Independent Police Complaints Commission said it was not pursuing any criminal or misconduct offences in relation to the officers who used their weapons.
IPCC investigators have viewed CCTV of what happened, and said two officers fired guns and one discharged a Taser.
Drummer Rigby, who was from Manchester and married with a two-year-old son, was described by his family as a "loving son, husband, father, brother and uncle".
"All he wanted to do from when he was a little boy was be in the Army. He wanted to live life and enjoy himself. His family meant everything to him," his family said.
His colleagues in 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers said he was as an "extremely popular and witty soldier" who had a "larger than life personality" and was a passionate, lifelong Manchester United fan.
Drummer Rigby served in Afghanistan in 2009 and was also posted to Cyprus and Germany.
His battalion is currently training in Cyprus, but he was on attachment to its London headquarters as a recruiter.
He said: "I condemn in the strongest terms the appalling attack against a British service member in Woolwich on May 22.
"The United States stands resolute with the United Kingdom, our ally and friend, against violent extremism and terror.
"There can be absolutely no justification for such acts, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the victim, the police and security services responding to this horrific act and the communities they serve, and the British people."
His comments come after Prime Minister David Cameron said the attack had "sickened" the country.
He said: "This country will be absolutely resolute in its stand against violent extremism and terror. We will never give in to terror or terrorism in any of its forms."
Tributes have continued to be made at the scene of the attack. Today Nick Griffin, the leader of the British National Party, arrived to lay flowers.
:: Police have issued an appeal for anyone who has still or moving images of the incident to send them to: email@example.com
They asked anyone sending in images to include their name and contact details, which they said would be treated in the strictest confidence. Alternatively, those with footage can contact the police's anti-terrorist hotline on 0800 789321.