1 in 5 Londoners are ‘too scared’ to leave the office for lunch

Liz Connor
Workers share a tree stump as they eat lunch in Hyde Park: AFP/Getty Images

As a Londoner there are plenty of things to be scared of - from rising rent prices to hellish Tube delays.

But according to a new report, as many as 1 in 5 Londoners are eating their lunches in front of their computer because they’re too scared to leave the office.

The reason, according to research by wellbeing charity CABA, is because they it will make them look bad in front of colleagues and bosses.

The study surveyed 2,006 people working both part and full time across the UK, finding that 19 per cent of people working in London worried about taking a lunch break.

This was far higher than any other region in the UK, with the national average coming in at just 6 per cent.

Another top ranking reason for Londoners dining at their desks was because of heavy workloads, with many workers claiming that they simply don’t have time to leave their desk for a significant period of time.

Studies have shown that skipping your lunch break can be bad for your health. Getting out of the office can lower your stress levels, give you an important dose of Vitamin D and increase your productivity for the rest of the day.

Thankfully, millennials have already cottoned onto this idea. According to the survey, just 14 per cent of the capital’s millennial generation chow down at their keyboard, while the other 86 per cent get a much-needed breath of fresh air.

Hopefully that spells the end of having to smell your co-worker’s broccoli and stilton soup.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes