A 51-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a schoolgirl was stabbed in Wolverhampton.
The girl, who is related to the man, has been left with serious injuries after a disturbance at a house in Kent Road.
Emergency services were called to the residential street by a concerned neighbour.
West Midlands Police found the girl inside the address with multiple injuries including a serious head injury.
The girl is critically ill in hospital, while the 51-year-old suspect is in hospital for treatment for a cut hand.
West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed it was called to Kent Road shortly before 1am Friday morning.
An ambulance, a paramedic officer and the MERIT trauma team with a doctor on board attended the scene.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: ‘Ambulance staff and MERIT arrived to find an 11-year-old girl inside a property with multiple serious injuries.
MOST POPULAR ON YAHOO UK TODAY
- Airborne laser scans find Mayan ‘megalopolis’ under the jungle in Guatemala
- ‘Evasive’ woman jailed after helping paedophile boyfriend to rape schoolgirl twice
- This ‘cartoonish’ sketch released by police may look like a joke – but it actually worked
- Quincy Jones says The Beatles ‘were the worst musicians in the world’
- Watch: Angry commuter demands blind man to move guide dog on tube escalator
- Flat Earth Society issues statement after Elon Musk launched a car into space
‘The girl was in a critical condition and ambulance staff worked quickly as a team to administer life-saving trauma care on scene before she was taken by land ambulance on blue lights to hospital; the doctor travelled with the ambulance crew to continue vital treatment en route.
‘An elderly woman was also assessed and treated on scene after suffering less serious injuries before being taken to hospital for further checks.’