14-year-old boy dies days after suspected stabbing in Newcastle

Northumbria Police say 14 people have been arrested since the attack  (PA Archive)
Northumbria Police say 14 people have been arrested since the attack (PA Archive)

A 14-year-old boy has died days after a suspected stabbing, police have said.

Gordon Gault was assaulted during an “altercation” involving a number of people in Elswick, Newcastle around 6.30pm on Wednesday last week, Northumbria Police said.

He died on Tuesday night, six days after he suffered the injuries which police said were “consistent with having been caused by a bladed article”.

The force said 14 people have been arrested since the attack.

Chief Superintendent Helena Barron, Northumbria Police’s Area Commander for Newcastle and Gateshead, said: “First and foremost, this is an absolutely devastating outcome and our thoughts are with Gordon’s family at this awful time.

“Clearly, the last week has been incredibly difficult for Gordon’s family and I would continue to ask that their privacy is respected as they attempt to come to terms with what has happened.

“We are determined to find out the full circumstances that led to Gordon’s death.

“As a force, we are committed to using every single tactic at our disposal in order to identify the perpetrators and ensure effective justice is served.”

She added: “We have made a total of 14 arrests so far as part of our extensive inquiries, and officers remain in the area as part of the investigation and to offer reassurance to those living nearby.

“At this early stage, we believe all parties involved were known to each other and there is no information to suggest there is a risk to the wider public.

“I would encourage anybody with concerns to speak to an officer in the area.

“I would like to thank everyone for their ongoing patience and cooperation as we continue to investigate this serious incident.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Northumbria Police’s Tell Us Something page on its website or by calling 101.