A boy aged 14 was among suspects held in a series of dawn raids by police investigating drugs, firearms offences and a murder attempt.
Nearby residents told how they were woken by “loud bangs, like shots or grenades”, believed to come from mini charges used to blow open locked doors, as armed officers stormed eight addresses across Greenwich from 2am today.
A traveller site in Abbeywood was among the targets of the operation, as detectives probed the attempted murder of a 33-year-old man in south-east London in December.
Footage shared on social media from appeared to show a police helicopter hovering above as dozens of officers fanned out across the site as the operation unfolded.
Police said no shots were fired and there were no injuries during the operation, which was the culmination of a long-running investigation.
The teenage suspect, two 22-year-old men and another aged 56 were today being questioned over the attack.
Officers from the Specialist Firearms Command and Territorial Support Group assisted in the swoop with specialist equipment. Searches of the properties were continuing today.
It is understood the success of the raids was aided by the lockdown, which has seen hundreds of wanted suspects arrested while confined to their homes.
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, who was in charge of the operation, said cash and drugs had been seized in the raid, but no firearms.
He said: “The operation was exemplary police work...I hope it demonstrates our absolute commitment to bearing down on those intent on causing violence.”
Homicide detectives are investigating the killing of the fifth woman in London in three weeks. A 65 year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the victim, 57, was found dead inside her flat in Plevna Road, Edmonton, at 6pm on Monday.
The National Domestic Abuse Helpline has seen a 25 per cent increase in calls for help since the lockdown began, according to charity Refuge.