'Absolute disgrace’ – flowers and pictures removed from memorial of man killed by police car

·2-min read
Flowers and pictures removed from memorial of Arthur Holscher-Ermert
Flowers and pictures removed from memorial of Arthur Holscher-Ermert

FLOWERS and pictures have reportedly been removed from a memorial of a man killed after he was hit by a police car.

Arthur Holscher-Ermert was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on the A259 in Peacehaven on April 30.

The 27-year-old was in a brief chase before he was hit by the unmarked police car.

Karl Holscher-Ermert has since revealed that items left at the site of the crash in memory of his brother has been removed.

In a post on social media, he said: “Any idea who has removed the flowers, candles, candle holders, pictures of Arthur and flags from the spot where Arthur was killed?

“It was not any of the local councils. It was a member of the community.

“Considering people are still going there daily to pay their respects as we can’t lay him to rest yet, it’s an absolute disgrace. I’m fuming.”

The Argus: Karl Holscher-Ermert at the memorial site for his brother Arthur
The Argus: Karl Holscher-Ermert at the memorial site for his brother Arthur

Karl Holscher-Ermert at the memorial site for his brother Arthur

More than 100 people gathered to pay their respects to Arthur at a vigil in Bramber Avenue in Peacehaven following the fatal incident.

Flowers, balloons and pictures of Arthur were placed at the memorial site.

Police said a short chase ended in Bramber Avenue where Arthur left his Audi and was struck moments later by a second police vehicle, a black BMW, which had not been involved in the pursuit.

It was confirmed that the driver of the unmarked police car is under criminal investigation for the offence of causing death by dangerous driving. He has not been arrested.

The Argus: Arthur Holscher-Ermert was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on the A259 in Peacehaven on April 30
The Argus: Arthur Holscher-Ermert was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on the A259 in Peacehaven on April 30

Arthur Holscher-Ermert was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on the A259 in Peacehaven on April 30

Last week, Karl called for the officers involved in the incident to be suspended pending an inquiry.

He said: “Three weeks on, nobody has been suspended, nobody has been arrested. In a normal scenario, you’d hope that at the very least the officers involved would be suspended while the investigation is carried out.

“Sussex Police have said that Arthur’s death does not meet the required threshold for suspension - that is a disgrace and a slap in the face.”

Karl said his grief has been prolonged unnecessarily as his family and friends have not been able to have a funeral for Arthur.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting