Airlift from Gwynedd beach after woman fell 40ft from cliff

Abersoch RNLi in rescue after cliff fall
-Credit: (Image: RNLI)

A woman was airlifted from a Gwynedd beach after being rescued following a cliff fall. The climber was at Trwyn Llech-y-Doll, a popular climbing location near Cilan Uchaf, Abersoch, when she sustained a 40ft fall.

Her climbing companion climbed down to the casualty, then had to climb back out to find a location with phone signal to call emergency services before returning to the casualty. The RNLI team at Abersoch were tasked by HM Coastguard - rapidly launching just before 10pm on Sunday evening.

The climber had suffered a possible head injury and broken leg.

READ MORE: One of Wales's most iconic hotels up for sale for first time in nearly 40 years

READ MORE: The 'routine' police stop that saw driver abandon van in middle of A55 and cops make discovery

Abersoch RNLI said: "This was a multi-agency response and the volunteer lifeboat crew were guided by local Coastguard teams on-scene on the cliff above the casualty’s location. The lifeboat arrived on scene at 10.19pm, with both difficult access from the sea and vertically, the lifeboat was manoeuvred to allow the crew to gain access and assess the casualty.

"The multi-agency teams quickly requested helicopter support to assist with the extrication of the casualty. On arrival the Coastguard helicopter team came to the decision that due to the difficult location and risk of falling rocks from the downdraught, a winch extrication was not deemed safe and they proceeded to land the helicopter at nearby Porth Ceiriad.

"The lifeboat crew transported the winchman to the scene. After being carefully assessed and stabilised the casualty was then placed on a stretcher and transferred via the lifeboat to the waiting helicopter. She was then transported to Ysbyty Gwynedd."

Abersoch RNLi in rescue after cliff fall -Credit:RNLI
Abersoch RNLi in rescue after cliff fall -Credit:RNLI

Abersoch RNLI volunteer helm, Andy Gunby, said "This was a difficult rescue with all agencies working together to effect an efficient and safe extrication from a precarious location. The casualty had fallen approximately 40ft and luckily they were wearing appropriate safety gear which most definitely had saved their life. We wish the casualty a speedy recovery and thank all assets for a combined effort to locate, access, stabilise and transport them to hospital."

Our volunteer crew returned to the lifeboat station at 1.17am on Monday May 20 where the lifeboat was washed down and refuelled ready for service.

Sign up now for the latest news on the North Wales Live Whatsapp community

See what's happening in your area: