Alec Baldwin has not handed phone over after Halyna Hutchins’ death on Rust set, police say

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
 (Getty Images)
(Getty Images)

Alec Baldwin has not handed over his phone to detectives investigating the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the Rust film set, police said.

Hutchins, 42, was shot dead and director Joel Souza was injured when a prop gun went off on a movie set in New Mexico in a tragic accident which rocked Hollywood to its core.

Authorities in the US issued a search warrant on December 16 for Baldwin’s mobile to be seized and searched. Baldwin previously slammed claims he was not complying with their requests on social media.

Hutchins, 42, was fatally shot dead when a prop gun went off on a movie set (Getty Images for SAGindie)
Hutchins, 42, was fatally shot dead when a prop gun went off on a movie set (Getty Images for SAGindie)

It is believed there could be evidence on the phone relevant to the tragedy.

A new statement from Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office on Thursday said: “On December 20 2021, the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office was advised that the Santa Fe District Attorney was in negotiations with Mr Baldwin’s attorney to obtain consent to retrieve the phone and its contents.

“To date, the cell phone has not been turned over to authorities.”

The Standard has approached Alec Baldwin for comment.

In recent days, Baldwin previously hit out at the authorities claiming any suggestion he wasn’t complying with their requests was a “lie”.

He said in an Instagram video: “Any suggestion that I am not complying with requests or orders or demands or search warrants about my phone, that’s bull****, that’s a lie.

“This is a process where one state makes the request of another state. Someone from another state can’t come to you and say, ‘Give me your phone, give me this, give me that’. They can’t do that. They’ve got to go through the state you live in.

“And it’s a process that takes time and they have to specify what exactly they want.

“They can’t just go through your phone and take your photos or your love letters to your wife or what have you, I really don’t know.

“But of course, we are 1,000% going to comply with all that, we’re perfectly fine with that.”

In December, the Hollywood actor gave his first tell-all interview where he claimed he never pulled the trigger of the gun.

Baldwin broke down in tears as he spoke about the tragedy on Good Morning America.

He told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos: “The trigger wasn’t pulled, I didn’t pull the trigger. I would never point a gun at anyone at point a trigger at them, never.”

Investigators have been probing the accident and the contents of the gun.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting