Jeremy Clarkson lined up as new Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? host

Mike P Williams
Yahoo Celebrity UK
(Credit: PA)

Disgraced ex-BBC host and current Amazon show presenter Jeremy Clarkson has reportedly been approached to host Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?.

According to a source at The Sun on Sunday, the controversial telly host, formerly of BBC’s Top Gear, has already ‘signed up’ to present the return of the once iconic show.

Clarkson, 57, is said to have agreed to host the rebooted ITV quiz show, taking on the duties alongside his The Grand Tour that is aired exclusively for Amazon’s streaming service.

The source claims: ‘Jeremy is a huge character and the bosses are convinced he is going to come in and really make the show his own.’

‘As well as interviewing contestants and giving answers, he’ll be injecting plenty of humour.

‘The show was a huge hit last time around and the hope is that it’ll live up to that success the second time around.’

(Credit: PA)

Presenting a slow-paced quiz is a million miles away from the high-octane nature of racing cars cross-country and embarking on crazy adventures with James May, 55, and Richard Hammond, 48.

Clarkson was unceremoniously booted from Top Gear after he punched a show producer over a piece of sirloin steak. Since being dismissed, both May and Hammond followed him where they reunited for The Grand Tour. The BBC show has since had a massive overhaul, with Chris Evans and Matt Le Blanc assuming lead presenting roles, with the former quitting early on into his contract.

Chris Tarrant, 71, previously fronted every single episode of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’s 16-year run, which aired from 1998 until 2014. During its lengthy spell on TV, only five people scooped the £1 million top prize – that first happened when Judith Keppel became a millionaire in 2000.

The show famously hit the headlines in 2001 when Charles Ingram cheated his way to the jackpot, after his wife and a friend were found to have coughed when Tarrant said the right answer. All three were branded guilty in 2003 for ‘procuring the execution of a valuable security by deception’.

The quiz show has been off our screens for almost three years, with around 160 different versions airing around the world. The deal is said to have been struck with Stellify Media, who are the production company behind BBC’s Can’t Touch This and the recently revamped Blind Date.

Read more:

Fans unhappy over Emmerdale showing graphic acid attack scene
Jack Whitehall confirms he’s leaving A League of Their Own
Kylie Jenner’s ex-boyfriend wants a paternity test

82 reactions

What to read next