The presenter and good friend of the troubled star has said that he needs to be “left alone” for a while after being charged with drink-driving earlier this month.
McPartlin confirmed that he would be taking a break from his TV commitments for the “foreseeable future”, but it was unknown whether or not he would return for his annual presenting gig in the Australian outback.
“Fingers crossed, Ant will get the treatment he needs and be back to his old self for next year,” Mulhern told Best.
He added: “But he does need the rest and to be left alone, and given the time to recover.”
According to the Daily Mirror, no decisions have been made about McPartlin’s work schedule and it is unknown when he’ll make his return.
“He’ll be off for as long as it takes him to get better. Work is not even being discussed with him. The only priority is him getting better,” said a source.
McPartlin was fined £86,000 and banned from driving for 20 months after he crashed his Mini into two vehicles in Richmond last month.
His presenting partner Declan Donnelly hosted the remainder of Saturday Night Takeaway solo and is expected to do the same with the Britain’s Got Talent live show.
A court hearing earlier this month found he was twice the legal limit when he caused the collision which resulted in a four-year-old girl being taken to hospital.
McPartlin apologised for his actions, saying he is “truly sorry” for letting down family, friends and fans.