Anxious Edinburgh passenger's nut warning after BBC presenter 'kicked off flight'

Frazer says flying can be an anxious experience him due to his allergies
-Credit: (Image: Frazer Gunn)


A Midlothian man has said travel can be an anxiety inducing experience for him due to his severe allergies - and even nuts on someone's breath could kill him.

Frazer Gunn has had a nut allergy from a young age, which he says can be a "life or death" situation. When he's on flights, he needs to ensure those around him are aware - which he says can give him a lot of fear.

Discussions surrounding allergies and travel have been continuing after BBC weather presenter Georgie Palmer, 49, says she was "escorted off a flight" when she requested others didn't eat peanuts due to her daughter's allergies.

READ MORE - Relatives of Edinburgh prisoner Peter Tobin 'refuse to act as killer's next of kin'

READ MORE - Edinburgh city centre building taken over by film crew for iconic BBC show

She said the SunExpress crew ignored her requests to make an announcement, so she spoke to those on the plane. The airline said it takes the safety of passengers seriously, but said the airline refrains from making announcements like the one Ms Palmer requested as it "cannot guarantee an allergen-free environment".

Some have branded Georgie "entitled", where as others supported her and said she did the right thing.

Frazer, 43, said the issue "needs to be treated seriously". He added: "There has to be a way of making this safer for those with the allergy, but also taking into account the feelings of others."

Speaking to Edinburgh Live, Frazer said: "In the majority of cases, everything is done professionally.

"I always feel quite anxious to be honest with you. Where possible, we notify the travel company when we're booking.

"There's times we've gone to the check in desk and they've not been made aware. So it's like, okay, we've got to then tell the check in desk and the queue while we're waiting for the plane.

"I'm also telling the cabin crew, and it is life or death. It's not like 'if you don't mind'. What they do is give a shout out just before the plane takes off.

"Sometimes they do it twice, which is good. I appreciate that."

Sign up for Edinburgh Live newsletters for more headlines straight to your inbox

Despite usually having positive experiences, Frazer still gets stressed prior to travelling. A few years ago, one experience didn't go to plan.

He continued: "We were on a plane and I asked them to do the shoutout, and they hadn't done it.

"You're sort of sitting there waiting. There were kids on the plane, anyone could just open nuts and eat them right in front of me.

"And why wouldn't they? They didn't know there was a problem.

"I had to ask the crew again, and they did do it, but it felt like they weren't comfortable. It was quite disconcerting. It's just that fear.

"If I found out there was someone on the plane eating nuts, even if they were right at the back, I'd probably get off due to fear. It could be really serious.

"I can kind of see it from all angles because people don't know, and they've brought on snacks and stuff. But at the end of the day it's not just a request for no reason, it really is life or death."

It's been around 30 years since Frazer last had a bad reaction. At 12-years-old, he ate some crisps as a family party that were in a bowl that previously held nuts.

Join Edinburgh Live's Whatsapp Community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages.

He told us: "I'm a bit partial to crisps, and there was a bowl at the family party.

"I ate some and then all of a sudden my lips totally burned up and I felt absolutely terrible. My mum knew there was something wrong. The bowl had previously had nuts in it and hadn't been cleaned.

"We ended up having to go to hospital in an ambulance."

More recently, Frazer has had to leave meetings at work due to someone in the room having recently consumed nuts. He added: "Me and my colleagues were in a huddle type of thing, and I said I had to go.

"I knew something was wrong. Turned out someone in the room had a snickers bar maybe 10 minutes before, so it just totally triggered it for me.

"That's the thing, even if it's on someone's breath it could end really badly."