'Exploding phone' blamed for death of tech boss in Malaysia

Asher Mcshane
Nazrin Hassan was found dead in his bedroom, police said he died from smoke inhalation: Facebook

An exploding mobile phone has been blamed for the death of a businessman who was found dead in his bedroom in Malaysia.

Nazrin Hassan, CEO of Malasia-based Cradle Fund, was charging the phones in his bedroom when he died, according to social media posts by his brother-in-law.

According to reports, he was hit by debris from an exploding phone before his mattress caught fire .

“He had two phones, one Blackberry and a Huawei. We don’t know which one exploded. Who would have thought such an innocuous routine procedure is the reason three young kids will grow up without their father by their side,” Hassan’s brother-in-law said in a message on social media, according to The Malaysian Insight.

Cradle Fund said in a statement that a post mortem found that Mr Hassan was killed due to 'blast injuries' caused by a mobile phone charging next to him.

Police said he died due to smoke inhalation.

Chief Operations Officer of Cradle, Razif Aziz said in the statement: 'Cradle has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Nazrin have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor.'