Latest Armed Forces News

  • Tom Hardy put through his paces at commando training camp
    Tom Hardy put through his paces at commando training camp Thu, Jul 16, 2015

    The Mad Max actor trained with the Royal Marines this week, taking part in a series of physical challenges. More »

  • UK adds extra spy plane to fight against Islamic State
    UK adds extra spy plane to fight against Islamic State Thu, Jul 16, 2015

    Britain will send an extra spy plane to Iraq and Syria in the coming weeks to help provide surveillance in the fight against Islamic State militants, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said on Thursday. Britain's Royal Air Force (RAF) carries out regular air strikes in Iraq but has so far limited its Syrian involvement to flying surveillance missions to gather intelligence. More »

  • Tunisia Terror Victim Coming Out Of Coma Thu, Jul 16, 2015

    Tunisia terror victim Allison Heathcote is "slowly" coming out of her induced coma, according to the Birmingham hospital where she is being treated. The 48-year-old was due to celebrate her 30th wedding anniversary with her husband Philip on holiday in Sousse when he was killed in the attack. Mrs Heathcote, from Felixstowe in Suffolk, was shot five times and was among a number of seriously injured victims who were flown back to the UK by the RAF on 29 June. More »

  • UK To Send Extra Plane To Fight Islamic State Thu, Jul 16, 2015

    The UK is set to announce further military support to the fight against Islamic State. The Defence Secretary will confirm later that a second Airseeker Rivet Joint spy plane will take part in the coalition campaign. The UK contribution to the fight against Islamic State includes eight RAF Tornado fighter jets, 10 Reaper drones, a Voyager refuelling aircraft and a Sentinel intelligence gathering plane. More »

  • British RAF base shuts for aviation after missile mishap Wed, Jul 15, 2015

    British air operations from a base in Cyprus involved in the campaign against Islamic State were temporarily halted on Wednesday after two missiles fell off a warplane during landing, forcing its closure to takeoffs and landings. The Royal Air Base of Akrotiri is being used in operations against Islamic State insurgents in northern Iraq. Two Brimstone missiles fell off a Tornado jet during landing on Wednesday morning, spokesman Kristian Gray said. More »

  • Britain's elite SAS slammed over training deaths
    Britain's elite SAS slammed over training deaths Tue, Jul 14, 2015

    The British army apologised Tuesday for the deaths of three reservists who collapsed while trying out for the elite SAS unit during a heatwave, after a coroner found the force guilty of neglect. More »

  • UK: Neglect played role in 2013 deaths of 3 army reservists Tue, Jul 14, 2015

    LONDON (AP) — Neglect and delays in providing medical treatment contributed to the deaths of three British army reservists who collapsed during a grueling special forces selection march, a coroner ruled Tuesday. More »

  • British soldier jailed for raping Austrian girl, six Tue, Jul 14, 2015

    An Austrian court sentenced a British soldier to nine years in prison on Tuesday for raping and sexually abusing a six-year-old girl in the province of Tyrol. The 30-year-old soldier, who has not been named, was at a British army adventure camp in the Stubaital Alpine valley and had entered the girl's unlocked family home while drunk in the early hours of the morning, a spokesman of the Tyrolean court in Innsbruck said. More »

  • RAF Radio Operators ‘Saw UFO In 1980’, Retired U.S. Colonel Claims
    RAF Radio Operators ‘Saw UFO In 1980’, Retired U.S. Colonel Claims Tue, Jul 14, 2015

    Mystery of Rendlesham Forest deepens More »

  • Prince William says air ambulance job will keep him 'a good guy'
    Prince William says air ambulance job will keep him 'a good guy' Mon, Jul 13, 2015

    By Michael Holden LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Prince William, second-in-line to the throne, launched a new career as an air ambulance helicopter pilot on Monday, saying his new job would keep him "a good guy". William, Queen Elizabeth's grandson who was previously a search and rescue pilot with the Royal Air Force, will fly missions from Cambridge Airport with specialist doctors and paramedics across eastern England. "For me, it's also a really important point to be grounded and I feel doing a job like this really helps with grounding the core of what I'm trying to become." Asked what that was, he replied: "Trying to be a good guy, trying to do what you can and trying to be a decent individual." Whilst the air ambulance role will be William's primary job, he will continue to carry out official duties as a royal, responsibilities which have grown in recent years as the 89-year-old queen scales down her engagements. More »

  • PM: More Drone And SAS Missions To Fight IS
    PM: More Drone And SAS Missions To Fight IS Mon, Jul 13, 2015

    Britain should spend more of its defence budget on SAS operations, drone missions and RAF strikes to counter Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria, David Cameron has told defence chiefs. The move follows Chancellor George Osborne's Budget announcement that Britain would meet NATO's defence spending pledge of 2% of its national income for the next five years, which would boost budgets to £47.7bn a year by 2020. More »

  • Gallipoli 'lucky ship' goes on show
    Gallipoli 'lucky ship' goes on show Sun, Jul 12, 2015

    The Royal Navy's only surviving ship from the Gallipoli campaign is to be opened to the public next month following a £1.79 million refurbishment to mark the 100th anniversary of the ill-fated battle. More »

  • Prince Philip Aims F-Bomb At RAF Photographer
    Prince Philip Aims F-Bomb At RAF Photographer Fri, Jul 10, 2015

    The Duke of Edinburgh has been filmed turning the air blue at an RAF photocall marking the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. Prince Philip was waiting to have his picture taken with other members of the royal family and a group of Battle of Britain pilots - famously dubbed the "few" by wartime prime minister Winston Churchill. His colourful language was met with laughter by members of the party, which included veterans Flying Officer Ken Wilkinson, Squadron Leader Tony Pickering and Wing Commander Paul Farnes, who have shared their recollections of the crucial battle with the Luftwaffe with Sky News. More »

  • Prince Philip caught on camera swearing at photographer
    Prince Philip caught on camera swearing at photographer Fri, Jul 10, 2015

    (Note: Graphic language in the third paragraph) LONDON (Reuters) - Prince Philip, the 94-year-old husband of Britain's Queen Elizabeth well-known for occasional verbal gaffes, was caught on camera swearing at a photographer on Friday, British media reported. At an event to mark the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain between the Royal Air Force and the German Luftwaffe in 1940, TV footage showed an exasperated Philip appearing to lose his temper during a photocall. "Just take the fucking picture," news websites quoted him as saying to the photographer at the event in central London attended by son Prince Edward and grandson Prince William among others. More »

  • Watch: RAF Reaper Drone Destroys IS Trucks
    Watch: RAF Reaper Drone Destroys IS Trucks Thu, Jul 9, 2015

    Two Islamic State armoured vehicles have been wiped out by Hellfire missiles fired by drones piloted thousands of miles away. The devastating power of the RAF's Reaper aircraft is demonstrated in a video released by the Ministry of Defence. The missions are carried out by RAF's 13 Squadron from inside an aircraft hangar in Lincolnshire. More »

  • Army Appoints First Female Major General
    Army Appoints First Female Major General Mon, Jul 6, 2015

    The British Army has appointed its first female Major General. Susan Ridge, who currently holds the rank of Brigadier, will be promoted in September to take on the role of Director General Army Legal Services. She will become the highest ranked female in British Army history and only the second woman to hold a two-star rank. More »

  • Final Five Tunisia Victims Returned To UK
    Final Five Tunisia Victims Returned To UK Sat, Jul 4, 2015

    An RAF plane carrying Lisa Burbidge, Stuart Cullen, Christopher Dyer, Bruce Wilkinson and Claire Windass arrived at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire. The repatriation comes as Tunisia's President Beji Caid Essebsi declared a state of emergency in his country after the beach and hotel attack on 26 June in the popular resort of Sousse. The inquest heard William Graham, 51, died from gunshot wounds to his pelvis while his wife Lisa Graham, 50, died from gunshot wounds to her chest. More »

  • Restored Word War Two Spitfire to be auctioned for charity
    Restored Word War Two Spitfire to be auctioned for charity Fri, Jul 3, 2015

    A restored World War Two Spitfire which was shot down over northern France in 1940 is expected to raise about $3 million (£1.92 million) for charity when it goes up for auction in London next week. The wreckage of the Vickers Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1A was recovered in 1980 from a beach at Calais, northern France. It is being sold by art collector Thomas Kaplan, who will donate the proceeds to the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund and wildlife charity Panthera. More »

  • Silent Tribute To Be Held For Tunisia Victims
    Silent Tribute To Be Held For Tunisia Victims Fri, Jul 3, 2015

    A minute's silence will be observed across the country at midday – one week on from the Tunisian terror attack which killed 30 British tourists. Flags are being flown at half-mast over Buckingham Palace and government buildings, as an RAF operation to repatriate their bodies continues. The Queen will be joining people across the country in the act of remembrance, and will mark the silence during a visit to the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow. More »

  • Tunisia Attack Victims' Bodies Arrive Back In UK
    Tunisia Attack Victims' Bodies Arrive Back In UK Thu, Jul 2, 2015

    The bodies of nine Britons shot dead in the Tunisia beach attack have arrived back in the UK, as the final British death toll was confirmed. The C-17 military transport aircraft touched down at RAF Brize Norton carrying coffins bearing the bodies of Lisa and William Graham, Philip Heathcote, Trudy Jones, Ann and James McQuire, Janet and John Stocker, and David Thompson. They were among 38 people killed by Seifeddine Rezgui in the resort of Sousse in Friday's attack, before the gunman was shot dead by police. More »

  • UK Mulls Syria Strikes To 'Destroy' IS Threat
    UK Mulls Syria Strikes To 'Destroy' IS Threat Thu, Jul 2, 2015

    The Prime Minister has indicated the Government is paving the way for airstrikes on Islamic State terrorists in Syria in the wake of the Tunisian beach massacre. David Cameron has said there is a "strong case for us doing more in Syria" but said there needed to be "clear consensus for such action" among MPs. Defence Secretary Michael Fallon outlined the case for allowing RAF bombers to attack key IS targets ahead of a debate on the issue in the House of Commons. More »

  • UK minister: Illogical to attack IS in Iraq but not Syria Thu, Jul 2, 2015

    LONDON (AP) — Britain's defense minister says lawmakers should consider expanding Royal Air Force airstrikes against the Islamic State from Iraq into Syria. More »

  • Tunisia: More British Victims To Be Flown Back
    Tunisia: More British Victims To Be Flown Back Thu, Jul 2, 2015

    An RAF plane will return to Tunisia this morning, as an operation to repatriate the bodies of Britons killed in the beach terror attack continues. The C-17 military transport aircraft is expected back at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire this afternoon, with all of the victims flown home "over the coming days". So far, 29 of the 38 tourists shot dead by Seifeddine Rezgui have been identified as British – and police are still trying to confirm the nationality of a 30th person also believed to be from the UK. More »

  • Tunisia: Bodies Of Eight Victims Back In UK
    Tunisia: Bodies Of Eight Victims Back In UK Wed, Jul 1, 2015

    An RAF plane carrying the bodies of eight Britons killed in the Tunisia beach terror attack has landed in the UK. A C-17 military transport aircraft, which left Tunis earlier today, landed at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire at around 3pm. The coffins of Adrian Evans, Patrick Evans, Joel Richards, Carly Lovett, Stephen Mellor, John Stollery, and Denis and Elaine Thwaites were adorned with white flowers and were carried off the aircraft by members of the armed forces. More »

  • Tunisia Victims' Bodies To Be Flown Home
    Tunisia Victims' Bodies To Be Flown Home Tue, Jun 30, 2015

    The first RAF flight carrying the bodies of Britons killed in the Tunisia terror attack will arrive back in the UK on Wednesday. Further flights are expected over the course of the week as bodies are released by the Tunisian authorities, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said. Mr Hammond said 22 UK nationals have been positively identified, while it is believed a further eight are among the 38 killed by gunman Seifeddine Rezgui. More »

  • Hundreds protest against Dalai Lama
    Hundreds protest against Dalai Lama Mon, Jun 29, 2015

    Hundreds of Buddhist protesters demonstrated against the Dalai Lama on Monday as the spiritual leader arrived in the British army town of Aldershot, where many current and former Nepalese Gurkha soldiers live. More »

  • RAF Plane To Evacuate Casualties From Tunisia
    RAF Plane To Evacuate Casualties From Tunisia Mon, Jun 29, 2015

    The vow came after the Prime Minister said an RAF plane was being sent to evacuate casualties from Tunisia, and Home Secretary Theresa May visited the country to see the aftermath of the "absolutely horrific attack". David Cameron has promised a "full spectrum" response to the attack that is expected to have left as many as 30 Britons dead. He said Ms May and Foreign Office Minister Tobias Ellwood had gone to Sousse on Monday to "give condolences to those who have lost loved ones" and "see for themselves what has happened". More »

  • George Groves suffers head injury in boating accident
    George Groves suffers head injury in boating accident Mon, Jun 22, 2015

    British boxer George Groves suffered a minor head injury in a boating accident on Monday but the incident will not impact his Las Vegas fight with Badou Jack for the WBC super-middleweight title, his management said. Groves has been training with the Royal Marines in Plymouth, on Britain's south-west coast, for the fight which is expected to take place in August or September. The 27-year-old, who was knocked out by Carl Froch in the WBA and IBF super-middleweight title fight last year, was taken to hospital for his injury but was released. More »

  • British army display parachutist has lucky escape Sat, Jun 20, 2015

    A British army paratrooper from the country's famed Red Devils display team had a narrow escape in front of hundreds of spectators after he was caught mid-air by a fellow team member when his parachute failed to open properly. The airshow in northwest England where the incident happened late on Friday said it was the first parachute fail in 25 years for the team, which is formed of 12 members of Britain's elite Parachute Regiment. Spectators published dramatic photos and video on social media showing one soldier with a fully open parachute wrapping his legs around the ropes of his team mate's tangled parachute below. More »

  • Britain's Prince Harry serves last day in army career
    Britain's Prince Harry serves last day in army career Fri, Jun 19, 2015

    Prince Harry ended his career with the British army on Friday after 10 years' service that saw him fight on the front line twice in Afghanistan. More »

  • RAF Scrambled As Russians Stray Near NATO Drill
    RAF Scrambled As Russians Stray Near NATO Drill Wed, Jun 17, 2015

    RAF Typhoons have been scrambled three times in the last 24 hours to intercept Russian jets flying close to NATO military exercises in the Baltic. The deployment of the combat aircraft, based in Estonia, came as Britain warned Moscow the NATO exercises were "not a game". Defence Secretary Michael Fallon, speaking to Sky News aboard HMS Ocean, also said the UK will "stand tall, shoulder-to-shoulder" with other alliance members to defend eastern Europe's borders. More »

  • Fallon vow in Russia planes alert
    Fallon vow in Russia planes alert Wed, Jun 17, 2015

    Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has insisted that Nato would stand by its eastern European members as RAF jets based in Estonia were scrambled to intercept Russian aircraft on three separate occasions in 24 hours as he visited the region. More »

  • British nuclear submarine whistleblower out of job, says Royal Navy Wed, Jun 17, 2015

    A whistleblower who alleged that Britain's nuclear-armed submarines have major security flaws has left his post in unspecified circumstances, the Royal Navy said on Wednesday, after an inquiry found no safety breaches had occurred. Able Seaman William McNeilly released a lengthy dossier online last month in which he said the Trident nuclear defence system was vulnerable to its enemies and potentially devastating accidents because of safety failures. "We can confirm that AB McNeilly has left the Naval Service, the details of which are a matter for the individual and his employer," a spokeswoman for the Royal Navy said in a statement. More »

  • Trident whistleblower discharged
    Trident whistleblower discharged Wed, Jun 17, 2015

    A Royal Navy submariner who published an online dossier of safety and security concerns about the Trident nuclear programme has been discharged from the service. More »

  • Sunken Wrecks Of Epic WWI Naval Battle Revealed
    Sunken Wrecks Of Epic WWI Naval Battle Revealed Tue, Jun 16, 2015

    3D scans of ships sunk during the First World War's largest naval battle have been produced after a Royal Navy ship scoured the bottom of the North Sea. They show the battered wrecks of several of the 25 warships - 14 of them British - that were blown up during the Battle of Jutland on 31 May, 1916. Among them is HMS Invincible which was torn apart by a German shell, killing more than 1,000 sailors. More »