Back to the Palace! Queen Elizabeth Boards Train Home to London After Winter Break in the Country

Stephanie Petit
1 / 4

Back to the Palace! Queen Elizabeth Boards Train Home to London After Winter Break in the Country

Queen Elizabeth Takes Trains to London After Winter Break

Queen Elizabeth is heading home to Buckingham Palace.

The 92-year-old monarch marked the end of her winter break at Sandringham House in Norfolk, 110 miles north of London, by catching a public train back to the capital. She was photographed wearing a long grey coat over a brown dress – and carrying her signature Launer handbag – as she boarded the train at King’s Lynn railway station in Norfolk on Monday.

The Queen headed out to the country estate before Christmas via train as well. Each year, members of the royal family join her at Sandringham Estate for Christmas.

  • Can’t get enough of PEOPLE’s Royals coverage? Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
Queen Elizabeth

Despite being on “break,” the Queen still undertook royal duties. Last month, the monarch spoke out about “considering the needs of others” and “coming together to seek out the common ground” in a speech that is being seen as a veiled reference to the Brexit debate.

U.K. citizens voted narrowly in June 2016 to leave the European Union. The exit date is now set for March 29, but efforts to come up with a plan governing the U.K.’s future relationship with Europe have resulted in tension and divisions among the country’s political parties.

Members of the royal family — especially the Queen — typically steer clear of political discussions to remain politically neutral. And while she didn’t mention “Brexit” directly in her speech, her comments during her annual visit to the Women’s Institute in Sandringham are being interpreted as a plea to put an end the the Brexit debates.

Queen Elizabeth at Sandringham Women's Institute

Last month also brought a scary incident with the Queen’s 97-year-old husband, Prince Philip. On Jan. 17, he got into a car crash that resulted in his Land Rover being flipped over and injuries to two women who were in the Kia also involved in the accident. (A 9-month-old baby, who was in the backseat, was uninjured.)

Buckingham Palace announced over the weekend that Prince Philip has “voluntarily” decided to give up his driver’s license.

“After careful consideration The Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence,” read the statement, which was issued on Saturday.

Prince Philip

Friend and biographer Gyles Brandreth previously told PEOPLE that Philip would reluctantly accept that he has to give up driving in public if he was advised to do so.

“He is a pragmatist and a realist and I’m sure he will accept that while possibly muttering under his breath,” Brandreth told PEOPLE.