Bakery bursts into flames as smoke is seen billowing from roof

General view of a fire engine
-Credit: (Image: Axminster Fire Station)


A fire broke out at a bakery in Devon this morning, Wednesday, June 5. Fire engines rushed to the scene after smoke was seen from miles around the blaze in Axminster.

An eyewitness reported seeing smoke billowing from the roof of the bakery in Millwey. Upon arrival, crews gained entry to the building using small tools and started to tackle the fire.

The fire is believed to have broken out as a result of a water leak which affected the electrics. With the building filling with smoke, a thermal imaging camera was used to tackle the blaze which began in a fridge-freezer.

Read more:

Firefighters used breathing masks, a hose jet reel and safety jet to fight the flames. An additional two breathing masks were used and firefighters used an another hose jet reel to extinguish the fire.

Once the fire was extinguished, crews located the source of the blaze. It was determined that the fire began in a central unit which contained a commercial bakery. The main fire affected a fridge-freezer unit and its contents. It was 100 per cent damaged in the fire, with smoke damage affecting the rest of the property.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an internal water leak which affected the electrics. Axminster Fire Station issued a statement on the bakery fire. It said: "Fire control received a call from a member of the public reporting smoke issuing from the roof of a commercial building in Millwey, Axminster.

"Control immediately mobilised Axminster, Lyme Regis Fire Station Charmouth Fire Station, the Aerial ladder platform from Yeovil Fire Station along with a supporting officer. Once on scene, our crews confirmed smoke issuing from a commercial bakery and set about gaining entry to the premises using small tools.

"Once entry was gained crews entered the property using 2 x breathing apparatus, 1 x hose reel jet and 1 x 45mm safety jet. Breathing apparatus was then increased to 4 wearers with an additional hose reel jet in use to extinguish the fire.

"This was a fire within a commercial unit measuring approximately 35 x 10 metres, the fire was located in a central unit which contained a commercial bakery. The main fire affected a fridge freezer unit and its contents which were 100% damaged by fire, with smoke damage throughout the remainder of the property.

"The fire was extinguished using 4 x breathing apparatus, 1 x 45mm safety jet, 1 x triple extension ladder, 1 x thermal imaging camera, small tools, the cause of the fire was believed to have been caused by an internal water leak affecting the electrics."