BBC breaks silence over internal probe into 'Giovanni Pernice abuse' on Strictly with statement

Strictly star Giovanni Pernice
-Credit: (Image: BBC)


The BBC has finally broken its silence following swirling rumours of an internal probe into Strictly Come Dancing's Giovanni Pernice, amid allegations of misconduct.

Giovanni, aged 33, finds himself at the centre of controversy, facing serious accusations of "threatening and abusive" behaviour during rehearsals on Strictly which the dancer has vehemently denied.

The broadcaster reportedly initiated an internal investigation after receiving complaints from several of Giovanni's former dance partners on the show, including TV host Laura Whitmore and actress Amanda Abbington, who alleges her stint on Strictly last year led to PTSD.

In light of extensive media coverage concerning the popular dance show and its professional dancer, the BBC has now issued a statement, the Mirror reports.

While not directly mentioning Strictly or Giovanni, the statement addressed the handling of complaints related to a high-profile series.

The BBC appears to have addressed the ongoing probe into Strictly Come Dancing star Giovanni Pernice's behaviour
Amanda Abbington claims to have been left with PTSD as a result of Giovanni's behaviour on the show -Credit:BBC

The statement declared: "It is a longstanding position that the BBC does not comment on specific matters related to individuals. Nor ordinarily, would we comment on whether we are reviewing any individual complaints.

"Recently, we have seen a number of media reports about a high profile show. We would urge people not to indulge in speculation. Anyone involved in a complaint has a right to confidentiality and fair process. If a complaint is made to the BBC, we assess and take any necessary steps to establish the facts, whether there is a case to answer, and, if appropriate, what action should be taken.

"This is all within the context of the BBC having duties of care to everyone linked to a complaint - that applies to those that have raised the complaint and to those that have been complained about."

They further added: "Whilst we know our shows have been positive experiences for many of those who have taken part, we will always look at any issues raised with care, fairness and sensitivity to everyone concerned. We will not be commenting further."

The statement does not specifically mention the show or the professional dancer involved, and they have reiterated their position of not commenting further on the allegations.

This comes amidst ongoing reports related to claims made against the broadcasting company, following rumours that Giovanni Pernice had left the show earlier in the month.

The BBC has broken its silence over the investigation into the Strictly dancer
The BBC has broken its silence over the investigation into the Strictly dancer -Credit:BBC

In a recent development, it was alleged that the professional dancer sent an "offensive" video clip via WhatsApp to one of his Strictly partners before a live Saturday night performance. It is understood that he neither created nor appeared in the video.

An insider told The Sun: "The BBC was told about the video clip and that someone found the content completely inappropriate, grossly offensive.

"The BBC was told the celebrity was shocked and upset to receive it on a WhatsApp message, hours before the couple were meant to be dancing together on live television."

"They were told they felt intimidated by it. The women are being incredibly brave in speaking out, especially as a lot of them are going up against vicious messages from his loyal fans."

In the meantime, supporters of the Strictly celebrity have rallied around him on social media after he addressed the emerging allegations.

Get the latest celebrity gossip and telly news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily Showbiz newsletter here.