With The Queen's doctors said to be "concerned for her health", the news was deemed serious enough to cut off BBC One's regular schedules mid-programme rather than waiting for the next news programme.
Bargain Hunt viewers saw the BBC One show fade out mid-episode as a news bulletin was shown instead to break the news about The Queen's health.
A statement from Buckingham Palace read: "Following further evaluation this morning, the Queen's doctors are concerned for Her Majesty's health and have recommended she remain under medical supervision.
"The Queen remains comfortable and at Balmoral."
Here is how BBC One interrupted programming to report on The Queen’s health pic.twitter.com/WkwlvmNWwL
— Scott Bryan (@scottygb) September 8, 2022
The bulletin also said that members of the Royal Family had been informed, with Prince Charles understood to be at Balmoral where The Queen has been since July, and Prince William, Kate, Prince Harry and Meghan thought to be on their way there too.
Her Majesty was said to have had a busy day on Tuesday as she met with new Prime Minister Liz Truss at Balmoral and invited her to form a Government.
She then had to pull out of a virtual privy council that she had been due to attend on Wednesday.
Earlier in the summer, The Queen celebrated her Platinum Jubilee, becoming the longest-serving UK monarch and the second longest-serving monarch in history with a 70-year reign.
She lost her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, on 9 April, 2021 two months before his 100th birthday and was forced to sit alone during his funeral service because of COVID restrictions.
Liz Truss tweeted: "The whole country will be deeply concerned by the news from Buckingham Palace this lunchtime. My thoughts - and the thoughts of people across our United Kingdom - are with Her Majesty The Queen and her family at this time."
Nicola Sturgeon added: "All of us are feeling profoundly concerned at reports of Her Majesty’s health. My thoughts and wishes are with the Queen and all of the Royal Family at this time."
Keir Starmer wrote: "Along with the rest of the country, I am deeply worried by the news from Buckingham Palace this afternoon. My thoughts are with Her Majesty The Queen and her family at this time, and I join everyone across the United Kingdom in hoping for her recovery."
Watch: Prince Harry and Meghan arrive in Germany