Ben Stokes comeback on hold as T20 international clashes with court date

Getty Images
Getty Images

Ben Stokes’ hopes of returning to England action next month were thrown into disarray after he was called to appear in court on February 13, the day he was due to play his first international since his arrest.

On Wednesday, the ECB gave Stokes the all-clear to resume international duty despite being charged with affray by the Crown Prosecution Service.

A T20 international against New Zealand next month had been scheduled as his comeback but that has been scuppered after the player was told his first court date at Bristol Magistrates’ Court is on the same day.

England are due to play in New Zealand throughout February and March but this latest twist will delay Stokes’ return for his country.

Should Stokes be able to play any part against the Black Caps, head coach Trevor Bayliss said he would be welcomed back with open arms.

During the Ashes, which England lost 4-0, Stokes played six matches for Canterbury Kings in a domestic tournament in New Zealand, and Bayliss said he was keen to have him back in the England fold.

“I only found out last night myself, but he hasn’t played any cricket for a little while,” he said. “It was probably my thought that he should be allowed to play in New Zealand.

“The coaches are very happy he is available again. He’s a very popular member of squad. I’m sure they’ll welcome him back with open arms. From our point of view, the main focus going forwards was the New Zealand ODIs and getting him up to speed. He’s raring to go. He’s a cricketer first and foremost and he just wants to be playing.”

Yesterday’s announcement leaves the ECB open to accusations of double standards after they suspended Stokes when he was not charged only to reverse that decision once he was told he must go to court.

Delay: Ben Stokes must wait to return (Getty Images)
Delay: Ben Stokes must wait to return (Getty Images)

However, at their board meeting on Tuesday the ECB were given legal advice that if the ban stood they ran the risk of Stokes suing for restraint of trade and there was a danger of prejudicing the trial. Stokes has announced he will contest the charge, which relates to a brawl outside a Bristol nightclub in September, and it is likely to take many months for the case to conclude.

Bayliss was not involved in the ECB’s decision but is satisfied with the overall process. He said: “What I will say is that it’s a difficult situation and a difficult decision to make. From our point of view here we have just been concentrating on playing cricket, without him to begin with, but everyone involved here is very happy he is now available again.”

Stokes was today one of only four players named in the ICC’s Test and one-day teams of the year. He joins David Warner, Virat Kohli and Quinton de Kock in receiving the dual honour.