- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
News of the criminal charges emerged on Thursday afternoon, as Mendy was being held in custody for two days before his appearance at Chester magistrates court on Friday.
The French international, wearing black jogging bottoms and a red hoodie, followed proceedings with the help of a French interpreter, speaking only to confirm his identity.
“There are three females victims who allege serious sexual offences”, said prosecutor Debbie Byrne.
She said the alleged attacks happened at the defendant’s home when “girls had been invited”.
It is said Mendy raped the first alleged victim three times in October last year when she came to a party at the footballer’s home.
The player is accused of sexually assaulting a second woman in early January at another gathering, while he faces a fourth rape allegation against a 17-year-old earlier this month.
Mendy did not enter any pleas on Friday, as District Judge John McGarva decided not to grant bail and remanded the player into custody.
He is due to appear at Chester crown court on September 10 for a plea and trial preparation hearing, when a trial date may be set.
Mendy signed for Manchester City in 2017, in a £52 million switch from Monaco.
The club said in a statement on Thursday: “Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.
“The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete.”
Mendy did not enter pleas to four counts of rape and one charge of sexual assault.