Advertisement

Blaze breaks out at village home

Fire were alerted to a fire in Mill Road just before 7.30am <i>(Image: James Weeds)</i>
Fire were alerted to a fire in Mill Road just before 7.30am (Image: James Weeds)

A fire broke out this morning at a home in Burgh Castle, near Great Yarmouth.

Four fire and rescue appliances from Norfolk and Suffolk attended the blaze in Mill Road, near the Butt Lane junction, just before 7.30am.

It was started when an extractor fan in the bathroom caught light.

The fire then spread into the roof, causing timbers to burn.

Eastern Daily Press: Mill Road near the Butt Lane junction
Eastern Daily Press: Mill Road near the Butt Lane junction

Mill Road near the Butt Lane junction (Image: James Weeds)

One neighbour spotted small plumes of grey smoke coming from the property.

Crews wore breathing apparatus and used main jets and hose reel jets to extinguish the fire and a thermal imaging camera was used to check for hot spots.

A stop message was issued by the fire service at 8.38am.

First Bus Yarmouth and Lowestoft said the fire would cause disruptions to its services this morning.