Boy, 16, dies after getting into difficulty in river

·2-min read
File pic of Jubilee River at Taplow
File pic of Jubilee River at Taplow

A 16-YEAR-OLD boy died after getting into difficulty in a river.

Police, firefighters and paramedics were called to a nature reserve at just after 5.30pm yesterday [24/6].

Officers were flagged down by members of the public following reports that a child had got into the water and was in difficulty in the Jubilee River in Amerden Lane, Taplow.

Police commended the bravery of a member of the public got into the river shortly after  but was unable to find him.

Tragically following a search involving the Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service, Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service and South Central Ambulance Service, along with the National Police Air Service, the boy’s body was found just before 6.40pm.

A recovery operation began with help from a specialist recovery unit.

Police have reissued their advice that while Drowning Prevention Week has come to an end, it is important to think about water safety all year round.

Choose lifeguarded venues and sites, if you are in trouble, stay calm and float to live and if you see someone in trouble call 999.

The boy’s death is being treated as unexplained, but not suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.

Although formal identification has yet to take place, the boy’s next of kin have been informed and they are being offered support by officers.

Local policing area commander for South Buckinghamshire, Superintendent Emma Burroughs, said: “This is a complete tragedy and my thoughts are with the family and friends of the boy who has died as a result of this incident.

“We are in the early stages of investigating this incident, but do not believe there to be any suspicious circumstances.

“There was a swift response from all emergency services, but very sadly, following an extensive search of the river, the boy was located deceased at around 6.40pm.

“This has been an extremely traumatic and upsetting incident, and despite the best efforts of emergency services at the scene, we were unable to rescue the boy, who was with two friends at the time.

“I am aware that a member of the public entered the river shortly after the boy got into difficulty, but was unable to locate him.

“I would like to commend him for his courage and bravery.

“My sincere condolences are with the boy’s family and friends, and I would ask that their privacy is respected at this incredibly traumatic and distressing time for them.”



Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting