Brands Hatch marshal dies after race car spins off track

·2-min read

A volunteer marshal has died after being hit by a car which spun off the track during a race at the Brands Hatch circuit.

An air ambulance landed on the circuit after police and paramedics were sent to the track near Dartford, Kent, at 3pm on Saturday.

The car had crashed into barriers and rolled several times before colliding with the marshal’s post. The condition of the driver has not been disclosed.

The crash occurred during a British Automobile Racing Club (BARC) car championship event. Racing was cancelled for the remainder of the day.

Lewis Hamilton, the Formula One world champion, wrote on Instagram: “Devastated to hear of the passing of a marshal at the Brands Hatch Circuit. These volunteer marshals are what makes racing possible, they are heroes. My heart is with his family.”

Motorsport UK, the sport’s governing body, said it is “deeply saddened” by the accident.

A spokesperson added: “The race meeting was immediately suspended and Motorsport UK, together with the event organiser, has begun a full investigation into the circumstances of the incident. The thoughts of everyone at Motorsport UK are with the marshal’s family, the organisers of the event, and other members of the motorsport community who were present.”

BARC said in a statement: “On behalf of everyone connected with the BARC, we are devastated by the loss of one of the amazing volunteer marshal community who do so much to enable the sport to take place. Our thoughts and best wishes are with the family and friends of all those involved. It is anticipated that the event will resume on Sunday.”

A spokesman for Kent police said the force was called following a collision involving a car and two people on foot at Brands Hatch.

He said officers attended the scene and carried out inquiries with no suspicious circumstances being reported.

Last week, at the same course, Brad Jones suffered an accident during a race in the British Superbike Championship and was induced into a coma.

The rider sustained serious injuries in the head, chest and pelvis, and remains at King’s College Hospital in London.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting