Former Brexit Party MEP says party is 'going in entirely the wrong direction' in angry rant

David Coburn has warned voters to avoid his own colleagues ahead of December's general election. (Getty Images)

A former Brexit Party MEP has said people shouldn’t vote for the party in the general election.

In a series of angry tweets, David Coburn, who was dropped from Nigel Farage’s list of candidates for the European elections in May, said the party was heading in a “disastrous direction”.

He wrote: “If @brexitparty_uk decided to stand candidates in Northern @UKLabour seats I would have wholeheartedly agreed with that approach but instead they have taken a disastrous wrong turn.

"I would strongly urge anyone thinking of voting @brexitparty_uk not to do so... it is a hollowed out shell with no members but supporters and no manifesto".

Mr Coburn added that if the Conservative Party didn’t get a majority in the election it would scupper Britain leaving the European Union.

“Simple truth if @BorisJohnson doesn’t secure a working majority in upcoming GE you can kiss goodbye to Brexit forever...” he wrote.

One Twitter suggested that the former art dealer was “bitter”, referring to a piece that said he was “humiliated when Nigel Farage refused to let him stand again in the EU elections for his new Brexit Party.

Mr Coburn replied: “False and Untrue. @Nigel_Farage never prevented me from standing in 2019 EU elections...the opposite is True...Nigel is an amazing politician and supportive of his MEPs.”

A Brexit Party spokesman refused to comment on Mr Coburn’s tweets, although he admitted that he couldn’t see them as he had apparently been blocked from his Twitter page.

The tweets come as support for the Brexit Party has plummeted in the past few days.

Voters appear to be have turned away from the party in their droves since the December 12 general election was announced and Mr Farage revealed he will not stand as an MP.

On Monday, Mr Farage vowed to target the five million Labour voters who backed Leave in the referendum as he unveiled his party’s candidates for the election.

He dismissed accusations he would split the pro-Brexit vote by running against the Tories, saying Boris Johnson’s deal was “not Brexit”.

His comments come as support for the Brexit Party has plummeted in the past few days, as leader Nigel Farage has been accused of “bringing about his own worst fears”. (AP)

He accused the Conservatives of “conceited arrogance” after the Leader of the Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg urged him to step aside and “leave the field”.

Mr Rees-Mogg warned he was in danger of snatching “defeat from the jaws of victory” for the campaign to leave the EU.

Mr Coburn has a long history of offensive comments, including homophobic remarks directed at Ruth Davidson.

READ MORE FROM YAHOO NEWS

Ex-UKIP leader Paul Nuttall quits party over Tommy Robinson role

UKIP's 'Che Guevara in tweed' sees close Scottish EU vote

Nigel Farage says a general election the only solution for Brexit

He also campaigned to ban UKIP activists and politicians from helping in food banks, as he said he believes them to be "left-wing propaganda invented by Labour and the SNP".

Mr Farage had previously spoken in favour of food banks.

Mr Coburn defected from UKIP in 2018 citing that it was promoting “anti-Islamic policies”.

He followed Mr Farage out of the party and into his former leader’s new Brexit Party earlier this year, but Mr Farage announced in April that Louis Stedman-Bryce would be at the top of his list of candidates in Scotland.

In 2015, Wikipedia blocked his user account ‘David Coburn MEP’ over attempts to alter the article about him 69 times in six days.

  • Think a 'mild' case of Covid-19 doesn’t sound so bad? Think again
    Health
    The Guardian

    Think a 'mild' case of Covid-19 doesn’t sound so bad? Think again

    Think a 'mild' case of Covid-19 doesn’t sound so bad? Think again. Otherwise healthy people who thought they recovered from coronavirus are reporting persistent and strange symptoms - including strokes

  • Coronation Street's Geoff Metcalfe tries to drop the charges against Yasmeen
    Entertainment
    Digital Spy

    Coronation Street's Geoff Metcalfe tries to drop the charges against Yasmeen

    Alya questions his motives.

  • Hundreds of scientists say coronavirus is airborne, ask WHO to revise recommendations – NYT
    Health
    Reuters

    Hundreds of scientists say coronavirus is airborne, ask WHO to revise recommendations – NYT

    The WHO has said the coronavirus disease spreads primarily from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth, which are expelled when a person with COVID-19 coughs, sneezes or speaks. Whether carried by large droplets that zoom through the air after a sneeze, or by much smaller exhaled droplets that may glide the length of a room, the coronavirus is borne through air and can infect people when inhaled, the scientists said, according to the NYT. "Especially in the last couple of months, we have been stating several times that we consider airborne transmission as possible but certainly not supported by solid or even clear evidence," Dr. Benedetta Allegranzi, the WHO's technical lead of infection prevention and control, was quoted as saying by the NYT.

  • Holidaymakers left confused as only a third of Government's 'travel corridors' offer unhindered travel
    News
    The Telegraph

    Holidaymakers left confused as only a third of Government's 'travel corridors' offer unhindered travel

    The Government has been accused of confusing holidaymakers after it emerged only 25 of the 74 destinations on their “travel corridor” list are fully accessible to English visitors without restrictions. A study by the PC Agency and Audiencenet has established that just a third of the countries or territories do not have some form of quarantine, closed borders or restrictions that might impede English holidaymakers. It follows the Department for Transport’s (DfT) announcement of 74 destinations where it was lifting the requirement for anyone arriving from them to quarantine for 14 days in England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have yet to decide if and when they lift the restrictions. High-profile Commonwealth destinations on the list like Australia and New Zealand have closed their borders and are thought unlikely to re-open them before Christmas because of the risk of importing Coronavirus from countries with higher rates like the UK. Japan, also on the list, will also not accept anyone who has spent 14 days in the UK for the same reason. Vietnam, which has one of the lowest rates of Covid-19 in the world, was among the 74 but it has also shut its borders to nations like the UK. Greece is not accepting direct flights until July 15 while Cyprus, another popular holiday destination, closed to anyone who has spent the previous 14 days in the UK. Austria has been approved for travel without quarantine on holidaymakers’ return to the UK but it is advising that people only enter the country for essential reasons - so, not a holiday. Travellers also have to have a Covid-19 test, which costs at least £150, within four days of their flight date from the UK and produce a medical certificate with a negative result on arrival. If visitors do not, they need to quarantine on arrival for 14 days. More exotic locations on the Government’s list, like Bermuda, also have a tough testing regime before they will allow any holidaymakers from the UK. St Lucia, where the Foreign Office lifted its ban on non-essential travel and lifted quarantine, is currently in a national state of emergency which means there are curfews in place, while Jamaica has introduced a questionnaire which visitors have to complete before being allowed entry. Paul Charles, chief executive of PC Consultancy, which produced the list for the travel industry, said the way the Government had presented its lists was confusing, if not misleading for holidaymakers. “It would be better for the Government to supply a list of destinations that English travellers can enter on arrival without having to quarantine or which don’t have any restrictions. This would be the 25 and it should be constantly updated by Government,” he said. The 25 are: Andorra, Belgium, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Faroe Islands, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greenland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta (from 15th July), Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Réunion, San Marino, Serbia, South Georgia and Sandwich Islands, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey and Vatican City. Emma Coulthurst, consumer advocate from holiday price comparison site, TravelSupermarket, said: “The Government’s latest information released late on Friday on where UK citizens can holiday this summer has the potential to confuse people and see them unwittingly book holidays which, due to restrictions imposed by the destination country, they might not be able to take. “It is vitally important that holidaymakers check the individual country’s entry requirements before booking and also book cancel-for-free or flexible rebooking options in case they unintentionally book a holiday which entry restrictions then prevent them from taking. “The UK Government should be making it clearer what the actual situation is for travel from the UK to countries on their lists and providing a lot more clarity on where holidaymakers can actually go to from the UK without restriction.”

  • Exclusive: Covid-19 may not have originated in China, Oxford University expert believes
    Health
    The Telegraph

    Exclusive: Covid-19 may not have originated in China, Oxford University expert believes

    Coronavirus may have lain dormant across the world and emerged when environmental conditions were right for it to thrive - rather than starting in China, an Oxford University expert believes. Dr Tom Jefferson, senior associate tutor at the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (CEBM), at Oxford, and visiting professor at Newcastle University, argues that there is growing evidence that the virus was elsewhere before it emerged in Asia. Last week, Spanish virologists announced they had found traces of the disease in samples of waste water collected in March 2019, nine months before the coronavirus disease was seen in China. Italian scientists have also found evidence of coronavirus in sewage samples in Milan and Turin, in mid-December, many weeks before the first case was detected, while experts have found traces in Brazil in November.

  • Majority of Brits are braced for a second peak and think pubs have reopened too soon
    News
    Yahoo News UK

    Majority of Brits are braced for a second peak and think pubs have reopened too soon

    Polling agency Opinium found that 52% of Brits think the hospitality sector has gone back into business too early.

  • Police out in Force as Melbourne Places Public Housing Apartments on Lockdown
    News
    Storyful

    Police out in Force as Melbourne Places Public Housing Apartments on Lockdown

    A large number of police were seen in the Melbourne suburb of North Melbourne on July 5 as Victoria moved to address an outbreak of COVID-19. Nine public housing estates there and in neighbouring Flemington were placed on lockdown.Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews announced the lockdown of the buildings on July 4 after 23 new cases were discovered in 12 households.Victoria had experienced double-digit growth in confirmed coronavirus cases every day in the week beforehand, reporting over 100 case on July 4. Credit: yaqubhashi1 via Storyful

  • Metropolitan Police urged to investigate Dominic Cummings alleged coronavirus lockdown breaches
    News
    The Independent

    Metropolitan Police urged to investigate Dominic Cummings alleged coronavirus lockdown breaches

    Police in London and Durham and the Crown Prosecution Service have been urged to launch new investigations into whether Dominic Cummings’s movements at the height of the coronavirus pandemic broke lockdown rules.Nazir Afzal, former chief prosecutor for northwest England, said he is “concerned that police and prosecutors have not received all relevant information and that their decision making will be incomplete as a result”.

  • Sturgeon urged to condemn 'abhorrent' border protests urging English to stay out of Scotland
    News
    The Telegraph

    Sturgeon urged to condemn 'abhorrent' border protests urging English to stay out of Scotland

    Nicola Sturgeon is under pressure to condemn “disgraceful” border protests where nationalists in hazmat suits urged English visitors to stay away from Scotland. Jackson Carlaw, the Scottish Conservative leader, said he was concerned that the scenes on Saturday would deter people from coming to Scotland and cause further damage to the country’s tourism sector, which has been devastated by coronavirus. A handful of nationalists turned up at the border over the weekend, urging motorists to “stay out”. Waving saltires and SNP flags, they displayed a banner stating ‘keep Scotland Covid free’.

  • Kate Garraway: We’re doing everything we can to bring Derek round
    Celebrity
    PA Media: Entertainment

    Kate Garraway: We’re doing everything we can to bring Derek round

    Draper was admitted to hospital at the end of March.

  • 'We've got to do something': Republican rebels come together to take on Trump
    Politics
    The Guardian

    'We've got to do something': Republican rebels come together to take on Trump

    'We've got to do something': Republican rebels come together to take on Trump. A slew of organized Republican groups have sprung up to do all they can to defeat Trump in November. Will their effort work?

  • Ghislaine Maxwell to appear in court as fresh details of arrest emerge
    News
    The Guardian

    Ghislaine Maxwell to appear in court as fresh details of arrest emerge

    Ghislaine Maxwell to appear in court as fresh details of arrest emerge. More than 20 armed officers said to have taken part in raid leading to her detention at rural New Hampshire retreat

  • GB sprinter Bianca Williams accuses Metropolitan Police of racial profiling after being detained in front of three-month old baby
    News
    Evening Standard

    GB sprinter Bianca Williams accuses Metropolitan Police of racial profiling after being detained in front of three-month old baby

    A GB sprinter has accused the Metropolitan Police of racial profiling after she was hauled from her car and handcuffed in front of her three-month-old son.Bianca Williams, 26, a European and Commonwealth gold medallist, and her athlete partner Ricardo dos Santos, 25, appeared to be dragged by officers during the traffic stop on Saturday afternoon.

  • Coronavirus: Popular Spanish beaches ‘forced to close due to overcrowding’
    News
    The Independent

    Coronavirus: Popular Spanish beaches ‘forced to close due to overcrowding’

    Popular tourist beaches in Spain were forced to temporarily close over the weekend due to concerns of overcrowding amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.Closures were reported along the Costa del Sol, on the southern coast, and elsewhere in Spain’s Andalusian region.

  • Austrian Grand Prix LIVE: Lewis Hamilton misses out on podium as Valtteri Bottas wins
    Sport
    The Independent

    Austrian Grand Prix LIVE: Lewis Hamilton misses out on podium as Valtteri Bottas wins

    Follow live updates from the Austrian Grand Prix as the 2020 Formula One season finally gets underway, four months later than planned, where pre-race drama has seen Lewis Hamilton hit with a three-place grid penalty just an hour before lights out and 14 of the 20 drivers take a knee before the national anthem.The coronavirus pandemic put all sport worldwide on hold, including F1, with the Australian Grand Prix back in March cancelled at the last minute to result in the season start being delayed by four months. A season re-jig means that a new eight-race European calendar is in place, starting with back-to-back weekends in Austria, where Valtteri Bottas starts on pole position after beating Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in qualifying.

  • Frank Sinatra ‘loathed’ Trump, says singer’s daughter after president lauded star
    Politics
    The Independent

    Frank Sinatra ‘loathed’ Trump, says singer’s daughter after president lauded star

    Frank Sinatra’s daughter says her father “loathed” Donald Trump after the president paid tribute to him in a speech and suggested his inclusion in a planned monument to American heroes.Actress and activist Mia Farrow, who was once married to Sinatra, tweeted: “Frank Sinatra would have loathed Donald Trump.”

  • Neighbours spoiler pictures show Shaun Watkins return to Erinsborough
    Entertainment
    Digital Spy

    Neighbours spoiler pictures show Shaun Watkins return to Erinsborough

    Will he reunite with Elly?From Digital Spy

  • Coronavirus news: Boris Johnson leads national clap for NHS anniversary, as UK prepares for ‘largest ever’ flu immunisation this winter
    News
    The Independent

    Coronavirus news: Boris Johnson leads national clap for NHS anniversary, as UK prepares for ‘largest ever’ flu immunisation this winter

    The NHS was honoured on its 72nd anniversary with a nationwide clap on Sunday evening, as politicians, medical professionals and the general public paid tribute to the service.Prime minister Boris Johnson led the applause from Downing Street and will later meet NHS workers in the Number 10 garden, while public buildings including the Royal Albert Hall, Blackpool Tower and the Shard have been lit up blue.

  • Madeleine McCann suspect 'could have snatched another child', say parents of young girl he allegedly exposed himself to
    News
    The Telegraph

    Madeleine McCann suspect 'could have snatched another child', say parents of young girl he allegedly exposed himself to

    The German paedophile suspected of abducting Madeleine McCann “could have snatched another child”, say the parents of a young girl he allegedly exposed himself to in 2017. Christian Brückner was arrested in Portugal for exposing himself at a playground, leaving parents terrified that the convicted sex offender could have gone further and taken their children away in his van. The new details of Brückner’s twisted behaviour in the Algarve have once again put the spotlight on Portuguese authorities as to why they did not link the career criminal to the country’s biggest ever missing persons case. Instead of facing trial in Portugal, he was extradited to Germany on an outstanding arrest warrant for separate child sex abuse charges. The German drifter, who spent two decades living on and off in Portugal was arrested in 2017 after four children told their parents he had flashed them at a playground in Sao Bartomoleu de Messines, a town less than an hour away from Praia da Luz, where Madeleine went missing ten years before.

  • Flooding and mudslides in Japan
    Science
    Sky video

    Flooding and mudslides in Japan

    Heavy rain in southern Japan triggered flooding and mudslides on Saturday, leaving at least two dead.

  • Sturgeon joins NHS anniversary clap
    Politics
    ITN

    Sturgeon joins NHS anniversary clap

    Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon applauded the NHS outside her home in Edinburgh as the National Health Service marks its 72nd anniversary. .