Bristol 'Kill the Bill' riot: Five sentenced over unrest outside Bridewell police station

·3-min read

Five people have been sentenced for their part in a Bristol riot in March this year.

Unrest broke out following a peaceful "Kill the Bill" march, which ended with 44 police officers injured and at least £212,000 of damage to police property.

Protesters set fire to police vehicles outside and smashed the windows of Bridewell police station.

Kane Adamson, Brandon Lloyd, Kain Simmons and Stuart Quinn had previously admitted to being part of a group which used or threatened violence outside the building on 21 March.

Yasmin Schneider admitted two counts of outraging public decency.

Bristol Crown Court heard that, as around 500 people descended on the police station, some officers feared they could be killed.

And Avon and Somerset Police chief superintendent Carolyn Belafonte said the riot was "nothing short of reprehensible".

• Adamson, 21, of Lockleaze, Bristol was jailed for three years and six months for throwing things at officers, as well as threatening and attacking their shields.

• Lloyd, 21, of Henbury, Bristol, was jailed for three years and 11 months for pushing and kicking officers' shields, kicking a constable and kicking windows of the police station.

• Simmonds, 18, from Springfield, Birmingham, was sentenced to three years and three months at a young offenders' institution for kicking police shields and the windows of the station, and for using a baton to beat a police van.

• Quinn, 46, of St Paul's, Bristol, was jailed for three years and three months for throwing things at the police station, and damaging a police van.

• Schneider, 25, of St Paul's, Bristol, was jailed for five months for urinating at the feet of an officer.

Chief Superintendent Belafonte said: "The sustained violence, the likes of which we have not seen in this city or even the country for many years, had absolutely nothing to do with any protest.

"Dozens of people came together and acted as a mob to attack and injure police officers, set fire to police vehicles and damage a neighbourhood police station."

The protests that day had started in opposition to the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill, a proposed law which includes extending police powers against demonstrators.

But the march turned violent - so far 75 people have been arrested and 29 charged - including the five sentenced on Friday.

Tens of thousands of hours of footage has been pored over by investigators as they tried to establish what happened that evening.

Tony Henley, secretary of Avon and Somerset Police Federation, said: "These people were not protesting a cause. They were thugs intent on causing damage and hurting our brave colleagues.

"Forty-four police officers were assaulted that night. It pains us to say some officers thought they would die in the violence and we are fortunate that the physical injuries were not worse than they were.

"Officers were struck, spat on, kicked and punched - some whilst defenceless on the ground. Let that sink in. It's utterly disgusting - they do not deserve to be treated that way."

Ch Supt Belafonte added: "Many of the officers and staff on duty that night will never forget what happened.

"The physical wounds may have healed but the psychological ones may take longer and we continue to make support available to all those who need it."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting