Briton dies after yacht crashes into rocks off the Italian coast

·1-min read

A British man died and six people were injured after a yacht ran aground on rocks off the coast of Italy, possibly as it tried to avoid crashing into another boat.

The 63-year-old owner of the 70ft boat - whose name has not been released - suffered a heart attack after the vessel crashed in waters near the Sardinian seaside resort of Porto Cervo on Sunday night, according to Italian media.

Authorities believe the "Amore" yacht had been sailing parallel to another boat when, for reasons that are unclear, it veered away suddenly and hit rocks near the island of Rocche, south of the Li Nibani islands.

The man was reportedly thrown into the water and rescued by a boat flying under the Maltese flag which was nearby.

With the assistance of the coastguard he was taken in by medical staff but they were unable to revive him.

The other six people who had been aboard the "Amore" were rescued by a third boat and transported to the Porto Cervo port.

Four were taken to the emergency room, two in serious condition, Italian media say.

The wreck of the "Amore" was found half-sunk and has been recovered by authorities.

Read more:
Briton fatally struck by helicopter blade while on holiday in Greece named as Jack Fenton
British man found dead in Crete after lying motionless on sunbed for hours

The UK's Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) says it is working with Italian agencies.

An FCDO spokesperson said: "We are providing support following a maritime accident in Sardinia, including to the family of a dual national who has died. We are in contact with the local authorities."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting