A British man has been killed in Thailand after a firework he was lighting exploded in his face.
Gary McLaren, 50, from Corby in Northamptonshire, was celebrating New Year's Eve with his fiancee and a group of friends in Pattaya.
The accident happened on a road full of bars and nightclubs shortly after midnight, according to local police.
Officers arrived around 12.30am and found Mr McLaren on the ground in front of a beer bar, with serious facial injuries.
He received CPR but died at the scene, according to the Bangkok Post.
Mr McLaren is understood to have arrived in Thailand just a few days before.
A witness told the paper she had seen him attempt to light the firework twice, before smoke began pouring out of one end and it exploded.
A large firework was also found nearby and has been taken as evidence.
His fiancee, Jasmine, was seen crying and hugging his body.
She posted a picture of the couple together in tribute: "This is [our] last picture honey, you will be in my heart for ever babe. RIP Gary McLaren."
Bar owner and friend Mike Cooperman shared a photo of Mr McLaren on his birthday, writing: "I will always remember how happy you were that night, RIP Gary, a good friend and brother, Jasmine please accept our deepest condolences and to his family."
The Foreign Office said officials were supporting the family.
Pattaya, around 100 miles from Bangkok, was formerly a small coastal village but has become better known for its nightlife and red light district.