Buckingham Palace has responded to concerns over Prince Andrew's relationship with Jeffrey Epstein, the billionaire banker and convicted sex offender, who died last week.
Epstein was being held in a New York prison on charges of sex trafficking - allegations involved running a 'network' of underage girls for sex - which he denied.
Last Saturday, he was found dead in his cell, which a coroner's report has since ruled a suicide.
The Duke of York's friendship with the 66-year-old is well documented - including old photographs of the two men together - and Andrew, who is the Queen's third eldest child, has felt the scrutiny of the media over the link.
However, in light of the most recent charges against Epstein, plus new pictures in some Sunday newspapers of Andrew at Epstein's New York City mansion in 2010 (which was after the businessman had been charged with soliciting an underage sex worker), Buckingham Palace made a statement to the media.
'The Duke of York has been appalled by the recent reports of Jeffrey Epstein's alleged crimes,' a spokesperson from the palace said.
'His Royal Highness deplores the exploitation of any human being and the suggestion he would condone, participate in or encourage any such behaviour is abhorrent.
Prince Andrew is not the only high-profile man to face scrutiny over his association with Epstein, so too has US President Donald Trump and former President Bill Clinton.
Trump appears to have U-turned on his view of Epstein, saying he knew him from his Palm Beach days but had fallen out with him, having not spoken in 15 years: 'I was not a fan of his,' he told reporters in July.
But back in 2002, he told New York Magazine: 'I've known Jeff for 15 years. Terrific guy. He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it, Jeffrey enjoys his social life.'
You Might Also Like