Burst water main brings Hendon to standstill in morning of London travel woe

The mid morning scene in Hendon  (Transport for London)
The mid morning scene in Hendon (Transport for London)

North Londoners faced long delays on roads on Tuesday after a water main burst on the A41 in Hendon following freezing overnight temperatures.

The main road along Watford Way was down to one lane from 10am because of the treacherous icy conditions. A section had been closed completely overnight.

By 11.45am, Transport for London was no longer flagging the A41 as a zone with long queues of traffic. Thames Water could not be reached for comment.

It was far from the only issue facing commuters in London’s north and north west on a chilly start to Tuesday.

The scene on the M25 (Transport for London)
The scene on the M25 (Transport for London)

Rail passengers were left stranded at Wembley Park due to ongoing delays on the entire Jubilee line due to an earlier faulty train at Willesden Green. There have also been hold ups on Piccadilly, Metropolitan and Overground lines.

The M25 was also brought to a standstill around junction 16 for Denham and Wembley after a crash. Agencies reported the section was operating as standard by mid morning.

Thames Water has been battling to reopen the A20 in south east London which has been closed in part since January 6 after a pipe burst.

The agency gave an update for the situation on Tuesday morning.

The scene of the van crash (Transport for London)
The scene of the van crash (Transport for London)

A statement from Thames Water read: “We’re working on repairs on the A20 Eltham Road following a large burst pipe on Friday, January 6.

“Customers affected by the burst, and by a smaller one in Duke Humphrey Road, should all have water. We’re sorry to anyone affected.

“We’d also like to apologise to drivers while part of the A20 is shut. We have a number of repairs to complete before we reopen the section of road, which we expect will take around a week. We aim to open at least part of the A20 as soon as we can.

“Thank you for your ongoing patience. We’ll provide further updates here once we have more news.”

Thames Water has been approached for further comment.