The mother of a seven-year-old boy who is at the centre of a legal battle over whether he should have radiation treatment for cancer is also opposed to any further surgery on his brain tumour, a court has heard.
A High Court judge had been due to rule on whether Neon Roberts should have the radiotherapy against the wishes of his mother, Sally, at a hearing on December 8, but proceedings were adjourned after the tumour was found.
Ms Roberts' lawyer told the court on Tuesday that the tumour was part of the original one left behind after the initial operation.
Although this means there is a better prognosis for its removal, the lawyer said the 37-year-old was against any further surgery being carried out.
Ms Roberts said: "I feel I need more expert opinion on it before proceeding."
A doctor treating Neon said a scan showed that the surgery needed to be carried out "urgently" on the "residual tumour".
He said the tumour could spread without surgery and it was "highly likely" that Neon would die within a "relatively short period" without further treatment.
The judge will now have to rule on whether the surgery should go ahead and the issue of the radiotherapy put aside.
Ms Roberts, 37, a New Zealander who lives in Brighton, East Sussex, had initially refused the radiotherapy saying that after research she feared radiotherapy would a "damaging effect" on Neon's future.
The boy's father Ben, who lives in London and is separated from Ms Roberts, agreed to the radiotherapy but was "apprehensive", the court heard.
Doctors said Neon might die within months without radiotherapy treatment.