Candle sets fire to curtains in York bedroom - neighbour saves the day

A candle set fire to curtains in a bedroom at a home in Beech Avenue, York <i>(Image: The Press)</i>
A candle set fire to curtains in a bedroom at a home in Beech Avenue, York (Image: The Press)

A NEIGHBOUR saved the day when a candle set fire to curtains in a York bedroom.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said firefighters from York and Huntington were called out to a fire in residential premises in Beech Avenue, York, at just after 5.30pm yesterday.

"The fire to curtains in a first-floor bedroom had been caused by an unattended candle," said a spokesperson.

"On the arrival of crews, the fire had been extinguished by a neighbour.

"Crews made the scene safe and gave advice to the occupant."