The Catch-up: Police to step up patrols of UK mosques after New Zealand terror attack

What happened?

Mosques in the UK will have an increased police presence following a terror attack targeting Muslims in New Zealand in which 49 people were slaughtered. The head of counter-terror police, Neil Basu, said he was horrified by the attack. “We will be stepping up reassurance patrols around mosques and increasing engagement with communities of all faith”, he added. Mosques in London, Manchester, Birmingham and other cities will see additional patrols.

References to Britain

The measures were announced following the massacre in New Zealand. The suspect, a man who identified himself in a livestream of the shootings as an Australian man named Brenton Tarrant, appears to have written a 74-manifesto published online in which he justified the shooting. The manifesto features a series of questions and answers and contains numerous references to Britain. He describes himself as an “ordinary White man, 28 years old. Born in Australia to a working class, low income family”. He said he came from “Scottish, Irish and English stock”. 

The manifesto, which quotes three British poets, also calls for London Mayor Sadiq Khan, whom he calls a “Pakistani muslim invader”, to be killed. And he writes that he supports “many of those that take a stand against ethnic and cultural genocide”, including Finsbury Park mosque attacker Darren Osborne. It also cites the rape of British women by “European women invaders” and includes links to the Rotherham sex abuse scandal.

As well as the UK, French authorities are stepping up security measures around religious sites.

Read more about this story
Police step up patrols of UK mosques (The Independent)
What we know about the shootings so far (Sky News)
Profile: An ‘ordinary white man’ – inspired by Breivik (The Telegraph)
Anger as graphic video of massacre is shared online (Yahoo News UK)

Long-forgotten video footage of Madeleine McCann boarding the plane that took her to Portugal has been released as part of a new TV series. The video shows Madeleine, who went missing in 2007, struggling to make her way up the steps to the plane at East Midlands Airport five days before she disappeared. Do you plan to watch the Netflix documentary, ‘The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann’? Read the full story and have your say below:

   

Appeal to find hit-and-run driver who killed two children

The family of two young children killed when their mother’s BMW was hit by another car have urged the public to help track down a driver who fled. Sanjay Singh, 10, and Pawanveer Singh, aged 23 months, died at the scene in Wolverhampton on Thursday night. A 31-year-old man alleged to have been at the wheel of a six-litre Bentley Continental convertible was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving but has since been released pending further inquiries. The driver of an Audi – which witnesses claim was “racing” alongside the Bentley – made off and has yet to be traced. Read the full story here (The Independent)

Cambridge and Sussex households formally split

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to have their own household to take forward their growing roles as senior members of the royal family. Meghan and Harry’s new household will be based at Buckingham Palace and is likely to be created following the birth of their first baby, expected in April. The move will see the Sussexes and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge formally split their backroom staff and may signal a shift in the direction of their public works. One of the most notable elements is the appointment of Hillary Clinton’s former campaign advisor to head up their communications team. Read the full story here (Yahoo Style)

These dogs were as happy as pigs in muck when they found fresh compost to roll in during their morning walk. The Shiba Inus came across the compost heap when owner Karen Jones brought them for an early morning walk in the farmland near her home outside Wigan.

£14m

The Hatton Garden ringleader known as “Basil”, who evaded capture for three years, has been found guilty for his part in the multi-million pound heist. Alarm specialist Michael Seed was convicted of conspiracy to burgle over his role disabling the security system, as well as a charge of conspiracy to hide the proceeds. The 58-year-old was the youngest member of the gang and is the 10th person to be convicted over the heistRead the full story here (Telegraph)