3 / 17

Peck-a-boo!

A little starling was a little startled after getting stuck in a manhole cover. A man spotted the wild bird in a flap and called the RSPCA. Animal welfare officer Sam Jopson went along to the stricken bird, in Carlisle, Cumbria, to free her. ‘I think it’s safe to say this startled starling found herself in a hole lot of trouble after flying up from the drains below and getting her head stuck in a gap in the metal cover,’ she said.
‘Or perhaps she was playing a little game of peck-a-boo when she got her head stuck? She had literally popped her head above the parapet to call for help!’ Luckily, with the help of some colleagues, she managed to free the bird and release her. You could say it was a flappy ending! (RSPCA)

Cats in nightclubs and sheep in trees: The RSPCA's top animal rescues of 2017

2017 has been a stressful year for everyone, not least for these animals who accidentally got themselves in something of a pickle.

From Taba the dog, who was spooked by fireworks and got stuck between two houses, to Dusty the kitten, who got his head caught in a bin, the RSPCA has seen it all when it comes to animal rescues.

These are the top 17 animals who needed a helping hand back to safety after biting off more than they could chew on their adventures.

Good boys! ‘Dogs trying to catch treats’ is as joyous as you’d hope it would be
Animal magic: Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2017 winners revealed
In pictures: Over 200 animals at London Zoo await their annual weigh-in