CCTV footage shows final moments of Polish man before he was beaten to death

·3-min read
Tomasz Dembler's badly beaten and mutilated body was buried in a shallow grave in woodland
Tomasz Dembler's badly beaten and mutilated body was buried in a shallow grave in woodland

JURORS have watched a compilation of CCTV footage showing the final movements of a Polish man who was beaten to death and buried in a shallow grave.

Tomasz Dembler was brutally attacked in a house in the North East before his mutilated body was dumped near a country park in March last year.

Teesside Crown Court was shown footage of the 39-year-old picking up a pizza before being dropped off near the terraced house where he was killed in the early hours of the morning.

Footage of three vehicles connected to the five people charged with the father-of-one's murder was also shown to the jury.

The Northern Echo: Tomasz Dembler
The Northern Echo: Tomasz Dembler

Tomasz Dembler

Peter Makepeace QC, prosecuting, said police had trawled through hours of CCTV footage to pull together evidence of them making repeated trips to the burial site in woodland near to Flatts Lane Country Park in Middlesbrough.

Detective Constable Brian Lightowler, of Cleveland Police, co-ordinated the search for CCTV footage throughout the murder investigation.

Jurors watched two Mercedes belonging to Rafal Chmielewski and Monika Solerska made separate journeys from Edward Street, North Ormesby where Mr Dembler was killed and the burial site.

The vehicles were driven to Flatts Lane Country Park on four occasions in the hours following the fatal beating of Mr Dembler.

A fuRther trip in Tomasz Reczycki's blue Ford Mondeo was caught on camera a week after the death was it was spotted heading towards the burial site on March 27.

The Northern Echo: Woodland where Tomasz Dembler's remains were discovered
The Northern Echo: Woodland where Tomasz Dembler's remains were discovered

Woodland where Tomasz Dembler's remains were discovered

Jurors also heard statements made by friends of the alleged murder victim who raised concerns about his disappearance.

Zbigniew Koslicki said he had made contact with his friend's estranged family as he tried to track him down, even visiting James Cook University Hospital to ask if he had been admitted there.

He said: "On Monday April 5, I contacted his family and spoke with Tomasz’s brother Christophe. Christophe asked all around the family members, and the last contact was on March 20, to his mum.

"I spoke to Christophe on April 15, when I saw the article about the body being found, in the news."

Zbigniew Pawlowski, 41, of Leven Street, Newport, Middlesbrough; Chmielewski, 37, of Birchington Avenue, Grangetown; Reczycki, 37, of Ashfield Avenue, Grove Hill, Middlesbrough; Solerska, 37, of Birchington Avenue, Grangetown; and Adam Czerwinski, 45, of Edward Street, North Ormesby, all deny murder.

The trial continues.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated Teesside Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on newsdesk@nne.co.uk or contact 01325 505054

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting