Celebrity Big Brother star Jamie O'Hara shares photo of cousin burnt in Hackney club acid attack

Mark Chandler

Celebrity Big Brother star Jamie O’Hara has revealed his cousin was burned in a Hackney nightclub acid attack and branded the person responsible “sick”.

The former footballer tweeted a photo of his cousin’s face after the rampage at Mangle in Dalston early on Monday morning.

At least 12 people suffered burns after a “corrosive substance” was hurled at revellers inside the basement club.

He wrote: “Sick that my cousin got burnt from this acid attack in Hackney.

“Innocent people get injured for the sick act of violence. Guy should get life.”

He added: "Blisters all over my cousin's head from acid attack in Hackney,what is wrong with world that innocent people have to get hurt."

Around 600 people had to be evacuated after the attack, which occurred just after 1am at a night called Lovejuice.

Scotland Yard said two men aged in their 20s were left in hospital in a serious but stable condition, while 10 other people suffered minor injuries.

One witness whose foot was burnt by the acid said she initially did not realise the severity of her injury.

The 25-year-old, who asked not to be named, said: "It was very, very packed in there, all of a sudden down at the back bit of the bar everybody started moving out of the way, I thought there had been a fight.

"Everyone was like 'go, go, go' and 'let's move, let's move'.

"Then they started getting everyone out, at the time I didn't realise I had been attacked, I thought someone had dropped a cigarette on my foot but it was getting more red and stinging.

"It's just like a red circle round my toes, around the size of a 50p piece, it is more sore than if you burnt yourself, it is really stinging.

Emergency services outside the Mangle nightclub where 12 people were burned by noxious substance (@PhieMcKenzie)

"It is scary because you just go out to have a good night and you realise how close it could have been to being a lot worse.

"I'm a bit disappointed with the club because they were frisking and checking our bags, but there were a considerable amount of people hurt so it must have been a whole bottle, it shouldn't have got into the club."

Detectives say trouble flared after a dispute between two groups of people, with a man spraying the substance towards two men.

Video footage showed the venue's corridors filled with clubbers wrapped in medical blankets, while fire officers filed past.

Many of the people were sat on blankets which had been laid on the concrete floor and outside, the road was packed with ambulances.

At one stage a girl could be seen sitting at the foot of a stairwell, her head buried in her hands.

Ambulance vehicles parked near to the nightclub in Sidworth Street (@LAS_HART)

The witness said: "In the party in the basement there were girls making noise, I saw their friends ordering a bottle of water - they were putting it on them, they were splashing it on their faces."

They added: "It was like a war - the police were everywhere.

"I just saw a lot of people complaining, there were a lot of staff around, someone had called the police and a lot of people were crying."

The London Ambulance Service (LAS) said it had taken 10 patients to hospital, while police said a further two people with similar injuries sought treatment at a hospital.

A manager of a bar near the club told his staff there had been an acid attack which had left a girl burnt on her face and arm.

Nima Navazande, 30, works at the nearby Martello Hall bar, and took over from his manager for the morning shift.

The London Ambulance Service Hazardous Area Response Unit was also sent to the scne (@LAS_HART)

He said: "My manager told me that around one o'clock they heard somebody saying that someone was attacked with liquid acid and there was a girl who had half her arm and her face burnt.

"My manager had to lock the doors and stay indoors to make sure nobody got in or out."

Emergency services remained at the scene throughout Monday after first being called at 1.10am.

Around 200 people had left the premises before the arrival of emergency services, while the building was evacuated of a further 400.

One tenant at a block of flats overlooking the nightclub described a scene of confusion as crowds were moved up the street.

The woman, who asked not to be named, said: "It happened so fast, they rushed people out, I thought it was a stabbing because all I heard was 'move, move, move - move out of the area'."

She added: "The area was closed off and police vans were there.

"The security were telling the crowd to go down that way - people on this side were waiting to go home but they couldn't go home because the road was closed.

"People were confused."

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said of Monday's attack: "The only information that we have is that it was an unknown corrosive substance thrown within the nightclub.

"It was identified by a PH paper test as a strong acidic substance."

A spokesman for Mangle said: "We are currently co-operating with the Metropolitan Police's investigation into an incident that occurred on Monday morning. At this stage, we cannot offer any further comment."

Police said there was no indication the attack was gang-related.

Anyone with information is asked to call Hackney CID via 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.