'Changes' made to 8 week road closure plan to 'minimise' disruption

Loughborough Road in Belgrave
-Credit: (Image: Google)


A gas company has said “changes” have been made to planned a road closure in Leicester in order to “minimise” the disruption it will cause. Cadent Gas had previously said that Loughborough Road would be closed in the southbound direction from the Red Hill Circle roundabout to Melton Road due to “essential” work.

However, it has now said that after “further discussions”, the road would instead close city-bound from Checketts Road to the junction with Melton Road and Belgrave Road, in Belgrave. The route will remain open in the northbound direction. A Leicester City Council spokesperson said Loughborough Road would remain open to two-way traffic between Red Hill Circle and Checketts Road, and that the official diversion route for through traffic coming into the city would be from Red Hill Circle via Abbey Lane, Abbey Park Road and Belgrave Road.

Access would be maintained inbound as far as Checketts Road, at which point there would be a “hard closure” inbound, with traffic diverted left onto Checketts Road and Melton Road, the authority said, adding that access to Leicester Outdoor Pursuits Centre would not be affected by the work.

READ MORE: 'Too many cars already' - residents have mixed feelings about former pub being turned into flats

The work will begin on Monday, June 3, and will last for approximately five weeks, with an anticipated completion date of Sunday, July 14, according to Cadent. The fuel distribution company said it would be upgrading 1km of “ageing” gas mains under the road.

“Following further discussions with Leicester City Council to try to minimise the disruption that these works will cause, we have agreed to make the changes to our traffic management systems that will be in place for these works," the Cadent spokesperson added. “Naturally, we understand that this will contradict the previously mentioned works, but we hope that residents and road users will understand that we are keen to make life easier whilst we carry out the works as safely and as quickly as possible.” Cadent said the “changes” had been made in the past 24 hours.

A spokesperson for the city council said: “We are pleased that Cadent has now clarified the local access arrangements that will be in place to help minimise disruption during these major works.”

We are now bringing you the latest updates on WhatsApp first