Check if your hearing loss makes you eligible for DWP PIP payments - list of conditions that qualify

People may be able to get financial support if they have a hearing condition and need help with everyday tasks
-Credit: (Image: Getty Images/OJO Images RF)

If you have a hearing condition that affects your day-to-day life, you may qualify for financial help from the Government.

Thousands of people in the UK live with conditions that affect their hearing ability, either partially or completely. Depending on the severity of your hearing loss, you might be eligible for assistance through the Department of Work and Pension's (DWP) Personal Independence Payment (PIP) system.

PIP is a tax-free benefit that you can claim if you live with a condition recognised by the DWP as eligible for additional financial support, reports the Liverpool Echo. Check the list below to ensure you don't miss out on extra cash.

Are you eligible for PIP?

If you're over 16 and under State Pension age, you could qualify for PIP. You don't need to have worked or paid National Insurance contributions to be eligible for it, and it doesn't matter what your income is, whether you have any savings, or whether you're employed or unemployed.

You must have a health condition or disability where you:

  • Have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for three months.

  • Expect these difficulties to continue for at least nine months.

The DWP will assess the eligibility of your PIP claim over a period of 12 months, looking back for three months and forward for nine months - they must consider if your illness changes over time.

Does your hearing condition qualify for PIP?

The DWP recognises 15 hearing conditions that qualify for Personal Independence Payment support. These are divided into different categories including:

Conductive hearing loss:

  • Chronic secretory otitis media

  • Chronic suppurative otitis media

  • Conductive hearing loss - Other causes / type not known

  • Conductive hearing loss due to Trauma

  • Mastoiditis

  • Otitis externa - chronic

  • Otosclerosis

Sensorineural hearing loss:

  • Deafness - congenital

  • Labyrinthitis

  • Menieres disease

  • Presbyacusis

  • Sensorineural hearing loss - Other causes / type not known

  • Sensorineural hearing loss due to Trauma

The DWP also has categories labelled "Mixed hearing loss" and "Other diseases affecting hearing and balance". These are designed to cover any conditions not listed specifically.

How much money you can get

If you have one of these conditions, you could be eligible for PIP, a benefit typically paid monthly directly into your bank account. It consists of two parts - daily living and mobility. The amount you receive for each component depends on the severity of your condition's impact on your life.

For the daily living component, the standard rate is £72.65 per week, while the higher rate is £108.55. For mobility, the standard rate is £28.70 per week, with a higher rate of £75.75.

You can find information on how to start a PIP claim on the GOV. UK website. The application process can be completed online, over the phone, or by post.