Chelsea 'hold talks' over Jonathan David transfer amid Manchester United links

Lille's Canadian forward Jonathan David celebrates after scoring
-Credit: (Image: FRANCOIS LO PRESTI/AFP via Getty Images)


Chelsea have reportedly held talks with the representatives of Lille striker Jonathan David about a potential transfer this summer.

According to The Athletic, David, who has 12 months left on his contract at Lille, is high among a number of options the Stamford Bridge club are looking at to strengthen their attack ahead of next season.

The 24-year-old scored 26 goals in 47 matches across all competitions for Lille last season and finished as the second-highest scorer in Ligue 1 with 19 strikes in 34 outings. As well as being linked with Chelsea, the Canada international has also been linked with a move to Manchester United.

ALSO READ: Southgate could hurt United with two Euro 2024 decisions

ALSO READ: The transfer trend that could help United this summer

As reported by the Manchester Evening News on Saturday afternoon, a striker is one of two priorities this summer. Joshua Zirkzee is a target, while David is said to be another, especially given his contract situation in France.

Speaking earlier this month, Lille president Olivier Letang revealed David is available for transfer this summer. He said: "Leny Yoro and Jonathan David can leave the club this summer. Both have the 'exit voucher' due to their contract situation."

Manchester United remain in a battle with Everton in negotiations for Jarrad Branthwaite as Ineos try to complete their first signing since taking over football operations at Old Trafford. A bid of £35m plus £8m in add-ons has already been rejected by the Goodison Park club, who are holding out for a £70m fee.

However, along with Liverpool and Real Madrid, United are interested in signing David's team-mate, Leny Yoro. But Real are currently believed to be the favourites to land the 18-year-old.