Co Armagh teenager's body recovered after he fell off Cliffs of Moher

Rescue teams at the scene
-Credit: (Image: Rockcorry Divers & North Coast Search & Recovery)

The body of a teenage boy has been recovered after he tragically fell from the Cliffs of Moher last week. The 17 year old, who has been named locally as Lochlann Murray from Crossmaglen in Co Armagh, sadly fell into the water on Friday, July 5, causing devastation and heartbreak among his friends and family.

Following the incident, emergency crews were quickly on the scene, with teams from Rockcorry Divers and North Coast Search and Recovery unit arriving at 11:30am. The dive team began their search an hour later at 12:30pm, and the teenager's body was recovered a few hours later at approximately 3:30pm after rescue crews made their way to the shoreline at the base of the cliffs.

The area they were searching was not visible from the top of the cliffs, but a drone was crucial in relaying information. The weather conditions, large swell and rocks made the search operation more difficult, with rescue divers also having to be cautious of falling debris from the cliffs above.

Read more: NI mum's eight-month-old baby and sister killed by driver taking pictures as he drove at 141mph

Read more: James McClean's daughter in hospital after 'taking turn for the worst'

The teenager's body was taken to the coast guard station in Doolin, Clare. Rockorry Divers and North Coast Search and Recovery stated: "The remains of a 17-year-old boy were recovered at the Cliffs of Moher on Sunday, July 7th. Following a request from the family on Saturday, July 6th, the body was recovered from the shoreline by members of Rockcorry Divers and North Coast Search and Recovery."

"On Friday, July 5th, it was reported that a 17-year-old boy had fallen onto the rocks just above the shoreline. Members of Rockcorry Divers and North Coast Search and Recovery unit left their base in Monaghan and arrived on site around 11:30 a.m. The dive team was assisted by local ex-Coastguard Bernard Lucas. The search began around 12:30 p.m., and the body was located at approximately 3:30 p.m.", reports Galway Beo.

"The area below could not be seen from the top of the cliffs, but information was relayed via a drone. Poor weather conditions in recent days, along with the swell and large rocks, made the recovery very difficult. Falling debris from the face of the cliff was another hazard the dive team had to be aware of."

"Divers made their way ashore to the base of the cliffs around 2:30 p.m., and at around 3:30 p.m., the body was located. The dive team successfully recovered the remains into their support vessel. The body was taken back to the Coast Guard station in Doolin. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the deceased at this very sad time."

For all the latest news, visit the Belfast Live homepage here and sign up to our daily newsletter here.