Co-op worker rolled car after pub session

·2-min read
Griffiths had drunk 6-7 pints at a Corsham pub, the court heard. File photo: Getty.
Griffiths had drunk 6-7 pints at a Corsham pub, the court heard. File photo: Getty.

A Co-op worker rolled his car after drinking half a dozen pints at a pub.

Michael Patrick Griffiths was drinking in a pub in his hometown of Corsham on January 9, but had walked there and back.

It was when he got home to Lypiatt Mead that he decided to get behind the wheel of his Peugeot 107 to get some food that he crashed on the adjoining street, Lypiatt Road, prosecutor Kate Prince told Swindon Magistrates’ Court last week.

The crash, at around 11.20pm on the Sunday evening, saw the 107 roll.

“Mr Griffiths accepted he had drunk 6-7 pints at the public house, walked home, and then decided to drive and get some food,” Ms Prince said.

Defending, Holly Burton said that her client was “fully co-operative” with police at the roadside.

“It’s also evidence of his genuine remorse for his extremely foolish actions on the day in question.”

She said that the 24-year-old had been suffering from poor mental health at the time and went to the pub with a friend.

“There has been a six-month period [since the crash], despite this being the type of offence we deal with regularly, it has been taken extremely seriously by the defendant.”

He has also taken it upon himself to “educate himself” on the “extremely foolish decision”.

Ms Burton said his employer described him as honest, reliable and conscientious, and was “extremely shocked”.

“This is clearly not something I thought Mike was capable of and not something that can be condoned in any way,” the statement read.

“Whatever the consequences may be, he only has himself to blame.”

Appearing in the dock last week, Griffiths pleaded guilty to one count of drink driving. The court heard he had 167 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood – more than double the drink-drive limit of 80.

Magistrates issued Griffiths with a £119 fine, and ordered him to pay costs of £85 and a £34 victim surcharge.

He was also banned from driving for 18 months, although this can reduced by taking a drink drive awareness course.

Addressing him, chairman of the bench, Dr David Whetham, said: “We’ve heard the facts of the case, it clearly was a serious incident and it wasn’t in the very bottom end of the alcohol charts.

“This was a very unfortunate incident, we hope we won’t see you again.”