Colchester girl's 'organs shut down' after she was bitten by adder at nature reserve

Brave - Lily Buy, 11, after her organs shut down after being bit by an adder this weekend <i>(Image: Submitted)</i>
Brave - Lily Buy, 11, after her organs shut down after being bit by an adder this weekend (Image: Submitted)

A MUM of a little girl from Colchester says her "organs started shutting down" after she was bitten by an adder while at a nature reserve.

Lily Buy, 11, was with her parents at the ‘Kids adder trail’ at the Fingringhoe Nature Reserve on Sunday when she was bitten.

She was rushed to Colchester Hospital after she became increasing unwell.

Samantha Lythgo, Lily’s mum, said: “We had no idea that within an hour we would being a hospital with our daughter’s organ shutting down.

“She was in hospital, then in A & E violently vomiting, and collapsed there, with her blood pressure being very low and her pulse hard to find.”

Gazette: Treat - The trip to the nature reserve was a family treat after Lily Buy completed her SATs this month
Gazette: Treat - The trip to the nature reserve was a family treat after Lily Buy completed her SATs this month

Treat - The trip to the nature reserve was a family treat after Lily Buy completed her SATs this month (Image: Submitted)

Lily was bit at 1pm, in hospital by 2pm, and had organs shutting down and her intestines swelling by 2.30pm.

Samantha added: “Without A&E it would be a very different story.

“I don’t think she would have made it if I hadn’t got her there so quickly.”

Gazette: Signage - A sign before the Adders trail
Gazette: Signage - A sign before the Adders trail

Signage - A sign before the Adders trail (Image: EWTA)

Samantha praised the “20 people looking” after her daughter, especially the nurse who visited Lily “straight away” in the morning after her overnight stay and said: “I cannot fault the hospital they were fantastic with her.

“The children’s team were amazing.”

Gazette: Injury - Lily Buy's arm after being bitten by an adder
Gazette: Injury - Lily Buy's arm after being bitten by an adder

Injury - Lily Buy's arm after being bitten by an adder (Image: Submitted)

A spokesperson from Essex Wildlife Trust said: “Fingringhoe Wick Nature Discovery Centre has a clear sign at the entrance to our centre and on our website about adders, including information about taking caution and what to do if bitten.

“In this instance, the family also spoke to staff ahead of their walk where they stated they were looking for adders and were advised to remain on the path and to keep their distance from adders."

Gazette: Awareness - Lily's mum Samantha wants there to be more awareness so no one else is ever in the same situation
Gazette: Awareness - Lily's mum Samantha wants there to be more awareness so no one else is ever in the same situation

Awareness - Lily's mum Samantha wants there to be more awareness so no one else is ever in the same situation (Image: Submitted)

The spokesman also said that “going forward” the site will introduce additional signage on the nature reserve to remind the public of the presence of adders and to ensure people “keep their distance if they spot one”.

Closed sensible shoes are also advised and if anyone is bitten by an adder, they should call an ambulance immediately.

Lily, who had just finished her SATs, loves going outside and is now on eight steroids a day, recovering.

Samantha said Colchester Hospital is now keeping a supply of the crucial anti-venom and added: “Lily was so brave bless her.

"We just don’t want it to happen to anyone else."