Comedy fan tells how Ed Byrne saved her from choking to death on an M&M

Martin Coulter
Morgan Wilson (right) pictured with her friend Alex: Morgan Wilson

A comedy fan has told how Irish stand-up Ed Byrne rushed to her aid to stop her from choking to death during one of his gigs.

Morgan Wilson, 29, says she was "laughing too much" when she choked on an M&M while watching his show at the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford.

Ms Wilson ran stood up to run to the toilet but was spotted by Mr Byrne, who quickly leapt to her aid.

She told the Standard: "I was laughing too much while I was eating my M&Ms and, looking back, it wasn't the best idea for a comedy gig.

Ms Wilson says Ed Byrne saved her life (Getty Images)

"I was sat in the third row and got up from my seat in a panic...I was planning to run to the ladies.

"Amid the chaos, I heard Ed stop mid-joke and ask into the mic: 'That lady there, is she OK?

"I remember him asking me if I was choking then telling me it was going to be all right.

"Then he was calling for his tour manager to get the medics while he was giving me the Heimlich.

"I wanted to thank him after the show for saving my life but I had to be taken to hospital to be checked over.

"I owe my life to him. I'm still in disbelief that he saved me."

The incident occurred in early December as Mr Byrne was beginning his nationwide tour of his 'Spoiler Alert' show which carries on throughout 2018.

The Standard has approached a representative for Mr Byrne for comment.