TRAIN operators are urging people not to travel today as services remain disrupted after strike action.
Southern and Thameslink are operating a reduced Sunday service today, with trains having fewer carriages and expected to be very busy.
Govia Thameslink Railway, which operates Southern, Thameslink and Gatwick Express services, has encouraged commuters to only travel if their journey is absolutely necessary and to expect severe disruption.
However, the warnings did not deter some rail passengers, with dozens of commuters gathering at Brighton Station this morning to catch the first train services of the day across Sussex and beyond.
Services today started later than usual, with some stations seeing their first trains depart as late as 8am.
Across the country, only 60 per cent of train services are running today, mainly due to a delay to the start of services as signallers and control room staff will not turn up for overnight shifts.
Disruption is expected to last through the rest of the week, with a third walkout by rail staff taking place tomorrow.
Talks to resolve the dispute over pay have so far had little sign of any breakthrough.
RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said: “Our members are leading the way in standing up for all working people trying to get a pay rise and some job security.
“In a modern economy workers need to be properly rewarded for their work, enjoy good conditions and have the peace of mind that their job will not be taken away from them.
“Grant Shapps (Transport Secretary) needs to get in the room or get out of the way so we can negotiate with these companies who we have successfully struck dozens of deals with previously.
“What we cannot accept is thousands of railway workers being thrown on the scrap heap after being praised as heroes during Covid.”
Mr Lynch also hinted that strike action may take place over the summer if no agreement is made to resolve the dispute.
He said: “RMT will continue its industrial campaign until a negotiated settlement is reached.”