Contractor Electrocuted At M&S Store In Kent

An investigation is under way into the death of a contractor who was electrocuted in a Marks and Spencer store.

Police said they believed the man died after suffering an electric shock in the M&S store in a Kent shopping centre.

He is thought to have been a contractor who had been called in to repair electrical equipment.

The death was initially treated as suspicious while officers worked out the full circumstances of what happened, but police later said they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

The store in the Royal Victoria Place shopping centre in Tunbridge Wells was not evacuated as the scene of the accident was not in a public area of the shop.

Tunbridge Wells Borough Council has been advised of the incident and their health and safety officer will be liaising with the police.

A Kent Police spokeswoman said: "We were called just before 3.30pm to the store in Calverley Road. It is believed a man suffered an electric shock. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"The air ambulance also attended."

The spokeswoman said police were called by paramedics from the South East Coast Ambulance Service who arrived at the scene first.

An M&S spokeswoman said: "There has been a tragic incident at the store today and our thoughts are with the family concerned.

"We are now concentrating on doing all we can to assist the emergency services with their investigation and as such are unable to comment any further at this stage."