Coroner told man whose death sparked a murder probe took his own life

Kaiwan Nasralddin, 20, found dead at his home in Wigan in 2023
-Credit: (Image: Family handout)

A coroner has ruled a man, whose death sparked a murder probe, took his own life.

Kaiwan Wrya Nasralddin's family claimed the 20-year-old had been the victim of an attack, which had seen him get kicked in the groin leaving him in 'incredible pain' that 'badly affecting' his life.

Kaiwan was found unresponsive in a shared house on Ince Green Lane in Ince on September 11, last year. Despite attempts rto resuscitate him by first the police, and then paramedics, he was declared dead at the scene.

READ MORE: Grandad who killed wife then went to Costa for cup of tea jailed for six years

READ MORE: Gino D'Acampo's Liverpool restaurant is in trouble with health bosses again

Due to a number of 'concerns' by detectives, a murder investigation was launched with three people initially arrested. However, after interviewing them and analysing CCTV, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) ruled out any foul play.

Following an inquest at Bolton Coroner's Court on Tuesday, May 21, Area Coroner Peter Sigee recorded a conclusion of suicide. Members of Kaiwan's family from Iraq, including his mum and dad, were present for the hearing, following proceedings through a Kurdish interpreter.

The inquest heard Kaiwan, a mechanic by trade, was born in Iraq in 2002 and was a 'happy boy who didn't suffer from any physical or mental health issues.' However 'life changed when he joined an opposition political party in Iraq' and he began 'suffering adverse treatment by authorities' and as a result he 'fled to the UK', the inquest was told by his family.

The coroner heard how Kaiwan initially lived in a hotel in Leicestershire and that 'there had been an incident in the months before his death when he had been assaulted and he had been kicked in the groin area which had left him in incredible pain.'

He had seen medics regarding the issue but it didn't get better and the pain was so bad he had 'threatened to harm himself' his dad Wrya Nasralddin told the court in a written statement during the hearing.

He continued: "About a week before his death, he had spoken to his mother by telephone and told her he was in a lot of pain and he didn't behave as he usually would."

The court also heard about complaints from Kaiwan in June and September last year 'with regards to difficulties he was having both with the public and one of his housemates'.

Kirby Marsden, Field Operation Manager at Serco, which houses asylum seekers on behalf of the Home Office, said in a statement that he had 'asked that he wished to move to a new location.'

The staff member said 'advice was given that if he was receiving threats that may be criminal then he should report matters to the police.' The hearing was told no reports regarding these or the alleged assault in Leicestershire were made to police, reports the Manchester Evening News.

Detective Inspector Charlotte Quinn, from Greater Manchester Police (GMP), who led the investigation into Kaiwan's death said that the initial description of the 20-year-old following his death suggested he had his 'hands tied behind his back'. She said this, coupled with a number of other concerning factors prompted the initial arrests on suspicion of murder.

"I was also concerned about an e-mail I was made aware of about some threats Kaiwan had received and I was also concerned I couldn't find his mobile phone," Det Insp Quinn told the court.

"Due to these concerns there were several residents of the address who were present at the scene and I made the decision at that moment that these people would be arrested in connection with his death. As part of that investigation, the people that were arrested were interviewed and they provided their accounts around the day that Kaiwan died."

"As a result of those accounts that were provided and subsequent CCTV that was located and mobile phones that were examined, and by this time we had also had the post-mortem, I was happy that these people that had been arrested did not have any involvement in Kaiwan's death."

She said footage from the body-worn cameras of the first responding officers also showed Kaiwan's arms had 'material' around them but were actually by his sides.

Giving evidence, forensic pathologist Dr Philip Lumb said Kaiwan had no 'defensive injuries' or drugs or alcohol in his system as he concluded he died as a result of hanging. Regarding the reported previous assault, he said he there were 'no naked eye injuries in that area.'

Kaiwan's parents urged DI Quinn to continue her investigation as 'we want justice for our son.' They told Area Coroner Peter Sigee they were 'not satisfied with the conclusion that he killed himself.'

However, Mr Sigee said: "The family of Mr Nasralddin are concerned in relation to to an assault on Kaiwan some months before his death in which a nasty injury is said to have been inflicted to his groin area."

"I recognise I have received evidence in relation to that assault. But Dr Lumb, the forensic pathologist, was clear in his evidence that any injury did not more than minimally cause or contribute to his death."

"In those circumstances, it's not open to me to make any decision in relation to that assault. I understand the assault didn't occur in the Greater Manchester area, as such, any concerns in relation to that possibly criminal behaviour would fall to be investigated by the local police force for that area. It may be that proceedings can brought in another court but that is not a matter for me."

He said: "I am satisfied that the appropriate conclusion is that Mr Nasralddin died by suicide and that's my conclusion. I recognise the family may not agree with all of the findings I have made, I hope that in time you will appreciate and understand why I have made those decisions."

Speaking after the hearing, Kaiwan's close friend Mohammed Latef said: "He was always thinking about opening his own garage because he was a wonderful mechanic worker and could find car issues in a really short time. He was a happy guy, and then what happened to him was not believable for any of us."

"We were shocked when we heard that he's passed and unfortunately I couldn't see him again. May god rest him in peace."

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here